• Member since 2008

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Hi guys,

How do I check if an object's row has any related child records when the child records point to the master object? What is the best solution to tackle this problem (Apex, validation rules, etc...)? For example, I want a custom object called "musicians", and I want to assign a type of music to each musician (ie- "country", "rock", etc... all of which are stored as rows in another custom object). Before each musician enters an approval process, how would i check to see if in fact a type of music has already been assigned to the musician if the type of musician object is storing the ID of the musician it refers to?

I guess what i'm trying to figure out is if a master object (like musicians) is considered "updated" after a child object (like type of music) relates to it.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

Message Edited by jwickett on 07-27-2008 09:08 PM
Hi guys,

Very basic question. I would like to use a button to initialize a workflow or approval process. Right now, it looks like workflows can only be executed based on a set of predefined rules. I would like the user to simply click a button. Is there an easy/clean way to do this? I guess I could make a custom button update a field when it is clicked, and then set up a workflow rule that is executed when the particular field is updated, but that doesn't sound clean.

I'd like to do the same with an approval process. Right now, it looks like specific criteria must be met for an approval process to begin executing. Again, I could use the same logic behind updating a hidden field, which would trigger the approval process, but I really just want to go straight from a custom button to the approval process.

Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated. Thanks!
Hi guys,

How do I check if an object's row has any related child records when the child records point to the master object? What is the best solution to tackle this problem (Apex, validation rules, etc...)? For example, I want a custom object called "musicians", and I want to assign a type of music to each musician (ie- "country", "rock", etc... all of which are stored as rows in another custom object). Before each musician enters an approval process, how would i check to see if in fact a type of music has already been assigned to the musician if the type of musician object is storing the ID of the musician it refers to?

I guess what i'm trying to figure out is if a master object (like musicians) is considered "updated" after a child object (like type of music) relates to it.

Thanks in advance,

Justin

Message Edited by jwickett on 07-27-2008 09:08 PM
Hi guys,

Very basic question. I would like to use a button to initialize a workflow or approval process. Right now, it looks like workflows can only be executed based on a set of predefined rules. I would like the user to simply click a button. Is there an easy/clean way to do this? I guess I could make a custom button update a field when it is clicked, and then set up a workflow rule that is executed when the particular field is updated, but that doesn't sound clean.

I'd like to do the same with an approval process. Right now, it looks like specific criteria must be met for an approval process to begin executing. Again, I could use the same logic behind updating a hidden field, which would trigger the approval process, but I really just want to go straight from a custom button to the approval process.

Any suggestions/help would be much appreciated. Thanks!