• 0 Points
  • Member since 2009

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Hello everyone. We've recently moved to more locked down server env. 

While testing out our website move to the new server env. we've found that webservice API call to salesforce consistently fails.

We had to ask our server host add firewall rules to allow connection to Salesforce.

We decided to use FQDN and added www.salesforce.com (443).

This initially worked for us.

However, on the day of golive (today) during testing, connections were starting to fail. After studying the WSDL generated from Salesforce, we decided to open na6-api.salesforce.com(443). This failed again because response was coming back from ns0-api.salesforce.com.

Are there set URLs that we need to have on our firewall rules? It seems like due to load balancing, these URLs change? 

I desperately need assistance on this.

thank you.

I’ve spent past few weeks studying the ins and outs of developingon SalesForce with our goal in mind.

As mentioned during our call, what we wish to achieve is to beable to create one to many relationship between Leads and custom object.

I’ll try to explain it as much as I can below and my hope isthat you can forward this email to any salesforce developer you can connect meto for advice.

We currently have web-to-lead set up where we collectvisitor information. Selected leads are converted intoAccounts/Contacts/Opportunities.

Some leads will never get converted. The data we collectfrom the website occurs on following fashion.

1.      Visitor clicks on one of many document todownload. If visitor cleared their browser cookie or never been to our site, wecollect their information before sending them to download site.

2.      When user fills out the form, this informationis sent to SalesForce via web-to-lead functionalities.

3.      Every other documents they download are not sentto SalesForce but rather emailed to our internal user.

Problem we need to solve from above process are:

1.      Duplicate leads can get generated in SalesForceand these needs to be manually merged.  

2.      Documents downloaded needs to be tracked notjust as picklist but as one to many relationship to a custom object. We need totrack downloaded title, download date and few other information.

a.       Whenconverted, these custom object relation needs to be reflected.

3.      As mentioned above in step 3, we need a way totrack other document downloads directly in SalesForce without having to openleads each time they download a document.

Based on my current research, I’ve tried to come up withsome strategies to solve these issues.

Issue #1: Duplicate leads

Withthis issue, I experimented with trigger to solve the issue. Initially, I wantedto NOT create the lead if the incoming lead was deemed duplicated.                

Leads would be considered asduplicate if other leads existed in the Lead object with same email address.However, I’ve failed in this attempt since triggers are transaction based.

Alternative method which hadpossibility  was to allow the creation ofduplicate lead but mark the status as Closed – Duplicate.

Issue #2: Lead(one) to Downloads (Many)

I am very puzzled with this issuedue to my lack of knowledge of SalesForce. I know that leads can’t be mapped toother object as Master/Child relationship and it put a huge road block onresolving this issue.

Alternate solution I’ve thoughtabout was simply creating custom object without the relationship.  My thought process was to use on after inserttrigger on lead to create new record in the custom object with Lead ID, LeadEmail Address, Downloaded doc, download date.

Once this was accomplished, I wouldcreate custom button or link on lead detail page to query custom object to displaylist of downloads. Initial coding of this failed because I was not able to hookup VisualForce page to the lead detail screen. I believe this maybe my lack ofknowledge on coding visualforce with apex.

Issue #2a: Download tracked even when converted

I’m a bit lost on how to accomplishtackle this issue. My initial thought was to create relationship betweenContacts and Custom Object to track the downloads. If I could resolve issue #2,I could possibly add on after insert on contact to move the data over to mappedcustom object to track customer id to downloads. All the historical datacollected with it was a lead needs to be carried over.

Issue #3: Track Multi downloads

I feel like I could potentiallyaccomplish this if all three issues are some how resolved, by creating customweb service. Again, my lack of knowledge of creating web service very minimalso I may be barking up the wrong tree here. 

If I could find a way call SalesForceand automatically populate custom object every time they download a document,it’ll save our company from doing manual merging.

Hello Force developers.

After wrestling with ability to create custom related link section under Leads, I've decided to try out different approach.

We have a need to not only merge duplicate leads coming into SF through web-to-lead functionality but also merge documents downloaded by that user.

I've decided to take care of automatic search for duplicate leads by using Triggers. Before insert, i'll search for existing leads and if it exists, it will mark the incoming leads status as "Closed - Duplicate".

Once duplicated, it'll find the document id downloaded by the user and insert new row into the LeadDownloads object with document title and leads email.

My solution to display these list of documents on Leads detail window is to create a custom link which will query LeadDownloads object by passing in email address from Leads. I have not been successful in finding or understanding way to capture custom request parameters coming from the leads detail page on VisualForce page i am making.

Any assistance with this would be greatly appriciated.

thank you.

Hello Everyone. I am very new to SalesForce development and would like to ask some questions regarding Triggers.

My company has a need to capture duplicate leads and process them by merging information.

After reading through documentation, I thought trigger would be the best way to do this.

To test the process, i created a custom object and wrote "before insert" trigger against it.

This trigger essentially searches for record based on email address and if record exists, it updates the visit count. However, I failed on this matter since after it processes the new record, it STILL inserts the duplicate record.

I've tried to use both before insert, after insert events.

My thought was, before insert, merge the record and after insert, delete the newly created record.

This also failed since I can NOT perform DML against trigger.new records.

Has anyone faced this type of issue before and if so, how did you resolve this?

Any assistance would be greatly appriciated.

thank you. 

Hello Everyone. I am very new to SalesForce development and would like to ask some questions regarding Triggers.

My company has a need to capture duplicate leads and process them by merging information.

After reading through documentation, I thought trigger would be the best way to do this.

To test the process, i created a custom object and wrote "before insert" trigger against it.

This trigger essentially searches for record based on email address and if record exists, it updates the visit count. However, I failed on this matter since after it processes the new record, it STILL inserts the duplicate record.

I've tried to use both before insert, after insert events.

My thought was, before insert, merge the record and after insert, delete the newly created record.

This also failed since I can NOT perform DML against trigger.new records.

Has anyone faced this type of issue before and if so, how did you resolve this?

Any assistance would be greatly appriciated.

thank you.