• 0 Points
  • Member since 2011

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Question: Repupose Accounts for Projects? 

BACKGROUND: I have a custom-app deployed and well-fuctioning,  on Salesforce Platform, focussed on project management, no VF or Apex. No sales is done in the app and the Account record functions solely for referencing internal clients who are serviced. We use the Case object as well. The primary object apart from Accounts is Projects and we are heavy users of Activities -- Tasks mostly. We are also ramping up to Library to exploit document management functionality. Approximately 1,500 records in our org currently. I have users who "share" projects and tasks and a need/value is having real-time access to those shared tasks, projects and folders. There are four project record types to address the four categories of projects I've identified among my users.

ISSUE: To accompany Projects, I developed a Master-Detail relationship with a custom object called Folder which is meant to encompass multiple projects, initiatives, etc. The justification for creating the Folder as a Master object was to be able to collect varying projects under one umbrella where all related Activities can be viewed.

I am wondering how appropriate it would be to re-design my app leveraging the Account object to serve either as the Folder object. The Account record is of course extremely robust and provides out-of-the-box team/sharing features.

Mind you, the only function of Accounts currently is to reference an Internal client. It's basically a list of our internal entities and it's not used for billing or anything else. At the same time, couldn't I create a separate Account Record Type to serve as the "Folder" object.

Thinkin' out loud.

Interesting request from a user. He likes the way Netflix queues automatically move DVD's up after you've watched one. He wants priorities to change based on what is left to do -- so for example, if all of the High Prioritites are completed, he wants the remaining Medium Priorities to automatically be set to High. This is one of those requests where something doesn't sound quite logical but I can't quite put it in words. 

I'm having a hard time understanding relationships vis a vis when a Parent record displays a Child's activities in the Related List section and when it doesn't.

It seems that any Activities associated with a Contact will always display in the Account record.

However, I have a custom object that is a Child to Accounts, and in that case, the Child Activities do NOT display in the Account Related Fields List section.

Can someone explain to me why this is so, when on the Fields Setup Page, the relationships between these Child records and the Account record look exactly the same?

I've created a custom button for my Products Record which allows the user to open a new Custom Record for an object called Email Campaign. (Different than the standard "Campaign" object.) Here's where I'm at -- would like to know what steps I am missing. Thanks in advance: 

Is it possible to customize the Dev URL -- or for that matter, any Force platform URL -- in order to brand your package? 

I'm doing a major preso this Friday on my app. First time. The issue I have is that my app contains a lot of data. I want to do the demo with all of my objects, fields and reports but not show any of the data. The data will of course appear in sidebars and in reports, list views, etc. I'm thinking out loud here; I'm sure there's a very simple solution and I don't want to overcomplicate it. I've been overthinking it so I'm hoping someone can pipe in with a fresh perspective which suggests that the solution is much simpler than I imagine. 

I'm guessing this would be a rollup field and would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction. A custom Billing object captures Start Time and End Time (date fields). I want (End Time - Start Time) = total billable time. All fields would be in one custom object. Thank you in advance. 

For my app, I am trying to mimic this: "Our links are automatically crawled via API provided by hosts below." Is it possible for me to use Force to "crawl" for links based on metadata I provide? I know this is a complex question -- I don't expect a how-to. Just point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance. 

I'd like to add a country-drop down picklist to an object. Is there an existing shortcut for handling this?

I've created a custom button for my Products Record which allows the user to open a new Custom Record for an object called Email Campaign. (Different than the standard "Campaign" object.) Here's where I'm at -- would like to know what steps I am missing. Thanks in advance: 

For my app, I am trying to mimic this: "Our links are automatically crawled via API provided by hosts below." Is it possible for me to use Force to "crawl" for links based on metadata I provide? I know this is a complex question -- I don't expect a how-to. Just point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance. 

I'd like to add a country-drop down picklist to an object. Is there an existing shortcut for handling this?