• 0 Points
  • Member since 2012

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

SFcloud Technologies glad to announce about free Salesforce consultancy services upto five hours and further discount on customization and development for the top respondents. Services are for limited period only and available on first come and first serve basis.
Grab it by reverting back or writing your requirement at hina.gupta@sfclouds.com or info@sfclouds.com

I have the following validation rule written thus far to use a Vlookup on a custom object to verify that another record has not been created with the same name

and(
        Name = VLOOKUP        
            ($ObjectType.Finale_Asset__c.Fields.Name,
            $ObjectType.Finale_Asset__c.Fields.Name, Name ),
    not(
     Id=VLOOKUP
         ( $ObjectType.Finale_Asset__c.Fields.Id ,$ObjectType.Finale_Asset__c.Fields.Name, Name )))

This indexes against all other Finale Assets to confirm the name is not the same and then does a check to make sure that it is not producing an error message because it found itself.

I need to expand this to include another field, a picklist with different asset types.

Ultimately the rule should work as follows.

An individual can not create a new record with the same name and type as an existing record.  A record can have the same name and a different type.

We could have Name = Doc A  Type = Document and Name = Doc A Type = Rule but not

Name = Doc A Type = Document and Name = Doc A  Type = Document.

Can anybody provide some assistance in getting the picklist portion of the rule included in this validation rule.  Where I'm coming across trouble is becuase it is a picklist, there is a limited number of formulas to try and work around this with, since we can't do another VLOOKUP against a picklist.

Thanks!