• Member since 2014

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Hello,

I am a "button click admin" that needs a lead assignment rule based on US zip codes. SFDC best practice is to build a custom object and place a table of zipcodes to assign within it, i.e., use it as a lookup.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to build a custom object, I'm a button click admin.  
However, I do have a table of zipcodes for assigning my leads.
(Up to now, I've been importing the leads after using a VLOOKUP function to assign the leads.)
This is how SFDC help file describes the design for custom object:
Design

•Create a custom object called ‘Zip Codes’. Create fields as necessary, including the following: Zip Code (text, 10 characters) and Sales Rep (user lookup). Make the ‘Zip Code’ field an external ID.
•Create a trigger which will do the follow. On creation of a Lead, use the zip code to run a query on the ‘Zip Codes’ object to identify the Sales Rep for that zip code, and assign the Lead to the Sales Rep.

The solution works even better if the customer already maintains a spreadsheet of Zip Codes and associated Sales Reps. In this instance, they can convert the spreadsheet into a CSV, and upload the CSV of all Zip Codes.

Does anyone know of a good video to show me how to build a custom object to for this? Or better yet, some existing code to share?
Thanks for your help.
Lynn 
Hello,

I am a "button click admin" that needs a lead assignment rule based on US zip codes. SFDC best practice is to build a custom object and place a table of zipcodes to assign within it, i.e., use it as a lookup.
Unfortunately, I don't know how to build a custom object, I'm a button click admin.  
However, I do have a table of zipcodes for assigning my leads.
(Up to now, I've been importing the leads after using a VLOOKUP function to assign the leads.)
This is how SFDC help file describes the design for custom object:
Design

•Create a custom object called ‘Zip Codes’. Create fields as necessary, including the following: Zip Code (text, 10 characters) and Sales Rep (user lookup). Make the ‘Zip Code’ field an external ID.
•Create a trigger which will do the follow. On creation of a Lead, use the zip code to run a query on the ‘Zip Codes’ object to identify the Sales Rep for that zip code, and assign the Lead to the Sales Rep.

The solution works even better if the customer already maintains a spreadsheet of Zip Codes and associated Sales Reps. In this instance, they can convert the spreadsheet into a CSV, and upload the CSV of all Zip Codes.

Does anyone know of a good video to show me how to build a custom object to for this? Or better yet, some existing code to share?
Thanks for your help.
Lynn