• Member since 2016

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Hey Everyone,
New to APEX here and I'm trying to update records on the same Object which the Before Update and Before Insert trigger is fired.
Basically, I have a Communication Method object which stores email addresses.  When an email address is stored or updated with the same type (Work, Personal, Other) and it is marked as as Roll Up = true, any records with the same type associated with the Contact should be updated with Roll Up = false.  I'm using this Roll Up field to roll these values up to the Contact to three specific fields (Not covered in this code).
I wrote the following:
trigger ComMethRollup on Communication_Method__c (after insert, after update) {

if(checkRecursive.runOnce())
    {
//Pull together List of Object Records 
    List<Communication_Method__c> allComMeth = new List <Communication_Method__c>();
    for (Communication_Method__c newComMeth: Trigger.new) {
//Query for Parent Contact and fields associated with Communication Method Record
	List<Contact> conList = [SELECT Home_Email__c,Other_Email__c,Work_Email__c from Contact WHERE Id = :newComMeth.Name__c];
	Contact assoContact = conList.get(0);
//Query for all Communication Method Records associated with the Contact with same type
	List<Communication_Method__c> assoMeth = [SELECT Id,Email__c,Roll_Up__c,Type__c from Communication_Method__c WHERE Name__c = :assoContact.ID AND Type__c = :newComMeth.Type__c];
        for (Communication_Method__c c: assoMeth)
//Check if new Communication Method record has rollup checked
        if (newComMeth.Roll_Up__c = TRUE) {
            c.Roll_Up__c = FALSE;
        	}
         UPDATE assoMeth;   
   		}

}
}

and then got a dreaded
 Error: Invalid Data. 
Review all error messages below to correct your data.
Apex trigger ComMethRollup caused an unexpected exception, contact your administrator: ComMethRollup: execution of AfterInsert caused by: System.FinalException: Record is read-only: Trigger.ComMethRollup: line 15, column 1

I then found an article (https://help.salesforce.com/HTViewSolution?id=000133752&language=en_US) to create a Static Boolean check class and refer to this at the start of my trigger.
I did do this, but am getting the same error.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!