• Member since 2016

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Hi , 

I was wondering if it's possible to dynamically assign record types of a child object based on a parent objects record type. 

Currently we use the case object to handle a lot of our business processes, and we are just starting to use custom objects. We provide different services such as warranties or exchanges, etc. for different parts, and these are handled through case record types. We recently created a master-detail relationship for a case part that allows the user to add multiple parts to a single case, but part information views will be different depending on the service we offer. 

What I'm looking for is if the user selected an exchange case record type, and added a new related list part instead of seeing part record types for warranties and exchanges, they would automatically open the part exchange record type. 

The only solution I've tried is creating custom buttons and modifying the URL (URL Hacking), but I've read this isn't a best practice, if there was a better way I'd love to learn how to do it. 

/a0Q/e
?CF...={!Case.CaseNumber}
&CF..._lkid={!Case.Id}
&retURL=%2F{!Case.Id}
&RecordType= #######

Above is my URL Hack where CF... is the link to my Custom Object ID and RecordType is equal to the specific record type I want to display.

I just like to know best practices as I'm still learning.

I appreciate it, thanks!
Dustin
Hi , 

I was wondering if it's possible to dynamically assign record types of a child object based on a parent objects record type. 

Currently we use the case object to handle a lot of our business processes, and we are just starting to use custom objects. We provide different services such as warranties or exchanges, etc. for different parts, and these are handled through case record types. We recently created a master-detail relationship for a case part that allows the user to add multiple parts to a single case, but part information views will be different depending on the service we offer. 

What I'm looking for is if the user selected an exchange case record type, and added a new related list part instead of seeing part record types for warranties and exchanges, they would automatically open the part exchange record type. 

The only solution I've tried is creating custom buttons and modifying the URL (URL Hacking), but I've read this isn't a best practice, if there was a better way I'd love to learn how to do it. 

/a0Q/e
?CF...={!Case.CaseNumber}
&CF..._lkid={!Case.Id}
&retURL=%2F{!Case.Id}
&RecordType= #######

Above is my URL Hack where CF... is the link to my Custom Object ID and RecordType is equal to the specific record type I want to display.

I just like to know best practices as I'm still learning.

I appreciate it, thanks!
Dustin