• Member since 2004

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Hi,

As I understand it, Person Accounts are a record type of an Account.  However, I've been told that a Contact is actually created behind the scenes and associated to the account, just not displayed in the UI.

Is this correct?  Specifically, I would like to be able to access the corresponding contact ID via a custom link at the account level.  Something like Account.ContactID?  Would this work?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Darrell
Hi there,

I'm trying to best determine how to randomly segment my contacts.  Is there a way to generate a random number in Apex to update all or selected contacts?

I have little to no success with 'true' random number generation with formulaic fields.

Thanks!
Darrell
Hi there,

I've been struggling to figure out a way to achieve the following:

1.  Setup an event
2.  Evaluate (hands off - no record edits or creates) whether the system time = the event due date time

I couln't determine any native field changes at the event level that occur once the due date/time passes.  Workflow rules won't work because the record has to be created or edited.  S-Controls won't work because a user has to invoke.   I don't see a way in which Apex code triggers can work, but perhaps I'm not being that creative.

I basically want the sf.com system to be able to do *anything* based on what time it is, rather than needing an external system to ping every n seconds.  I was hoping to accomplish this with Apex code.

I also don't want an infinite Apex code loop if possible.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Darrell
Hi,

We have a very distinct business need of being able to pop-up an alert within the case tab if there is a problem at the account level (without the need for clicking back to account, and then looking for a field)

Is there a way to have a 'trigger' at the case level (without a WIL if possible) that would automatically display some sort of alert if there is a message at the account that the case is associated to?

Any guidance on design would really help me.

Best regards,
Darrell
Hi,

Does anyone know the best way to use the .NET managed provider to bulk insert into salesforce?

I am trying to pull data from SQL server, and then add in batch to Salesforce.

Thanks,

Darrell
Hi,

I am developing a web app that is accessible via a web integration link. For security purposes, i'm trying to determine how to validate the session ID that is passed in the query string as a valid session so no one can spoof the query string. I am developing in VB.NET.

Alternatively, I am open to other suggestions.

Thanks,

Darrell

Hi,

Has anyone had any luck/experience using SSIS in SQL server 2005 to download data in aggregate from sforce?  I know there is a new feature in the DTS designer called Web Service task but I am struggling to see how it would work with sforce.

Thanks,

Darrell

Hi,

Can anyone help me out with a good example of a batch insert call in VB 6 or VBA?  Also, code to control the insert call in sizes of 200 would really help.

Thanks!

Darrell

Hi,

I am trying to create an Excel file that will automatically refresh a report using the Excel addin command.  My problem is that even though I can call the LogIn sub in the addin, I can't seem to figure out how to get around typing in username and password in the dialog box.

Is there a way to login to the add-in via VBA code rather than just calling the login sub and having to still type in the username and password?

Thanks,

Darrell

PS - I've already seen the other posts on this message board about automatically refreshing reports but they don't address passing username and password programmatically.

Hi,

I am writing a sub that queries data (specifically, an aggregate sql query that returns the sum of total bookings grouped by the salesforce user id).  This query returns data from a LOCAL machine.

I can't figure out how to put existing arrays of data with the sf.com ID already known into a data dictionary and then update into salesforce.com  I have plenty of experience downloading data from sf.com, but am having difficulties with the the update call.  The code is below, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Darrell

I am getting an error message that says 'Type Mismatch' on this line:

Set sobjects(i) = dicObjects.Items(i)

Public Sub Update()

Dim cnxOperations As ADODB.Connection

Call ConnectOperations(cnxOperations)
Call LoginSalesforce

Dim rstMTD As ADODB.Recordset
Dim fldObject As ADODB.Fields
Dim cmdMTD As ADODB.Command
Dim strMTDsql As String

Dim qr As QueryResultSet
Dim sobj As SObject

strMTDsql = "SELECT tblBookings.SalesRepID, Sum(tblBookings.TotalDeal) AS Total FROM tblBookings INNER JOIN tblBusinessDayCalendar ON tblBookings.BookingDate = tblBusinessDayCalendar.DateID WHERE (((tblBusinessDayCalendar.MonthNumber) = " & Format(Date, "m") & ") And ((tblBusinessDayCalendar.YearNumber) = " & Format(Date, "yyyy") & "))GROUP BY tblBookings.SalesRepID;"
Debug.Print strMTDsql

Set cmdMTD = New ADODB.Command
Set cmdMTD.ActiveConnection = cnxOperations
cmdMTD.CommandText = strMTDsql
cmdMTD.CommandTimeout = 10

'Executing command to retrieve recordset
Set rstMTD = New ADODB.Recordset
Set rstMTD = cmdMTD.Execute
Set fldObject = rstMTD.Fields

Dim Count As Integer
Dim y As Integer
Dim id() As String
Dim dicObjects As New Dictionary

With rstMTD
Do While Not .EOF
dicObjects.Add rstMTD.Fields("SalesRepID").Value, fldObject
.MoveNext
Loop
End With

'updating via sforce API
Dim sobjects() As SObject
Dim i As Integer
ReDim sobjects(dicObjects.Count) As SObject
For i = LBound(sobjects) To UBound(sobjects)
Next

sfdc.Update sobjects, False

MsgBox "Done"

End Sub

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how to query information properly in VB 6 via the sf API, but am having no luck.

Below is some sample code that I have written to count how many results there are in a queryresultset.  No matter what I do, I keep getting 0.

I don't have trouble logging in.

Public Function TestUpdateable(intCount As Integer)

Dim qrs As QueryResultSet
Dim soql As String
Dim sobj As SObject
Dim fld As Field
Dim blnUpdateable As Boolean
Dim strTest As String

soql = "select ETMemberID from Account"
Set qrs = sfdc.Query(soql, False)

strTest = qrs.EntityType

For Each sobj In qrs
intCount = intCount + 1
Next sobj

intCount = intCount

End Function

Thanks,

Darrell

Hi,

I'm in the process of designing an ActiveX control in VB 6.0 which I hope to deploy as an sforce control which will be accessed via web links.

My hope is that I can use the ActiveX control to collect a lot of information and populate salesforce custom fields (for example, an 'Account Type' field in "Contracts".)  I am new to developing with sforce controls and an intermediate VB 6 programmer (no .NET experience yet).

My question is this:

I was reading the API document and in the scontrol section it says supported API calls are create, update, delete, query, getDeleted.... etc.

In Table 47 of the API in the scontrol section, it mentions binary fields of type binary that are such items as ActiveX.  It says that these objects can be specified when your client application calls create, but not update.  So... can an ActiveX control be deployed as a scontrol to update fields in an object such as Contracts?  (Assuming proper version and features of Salesforce are enabled)

Also, any advice/help for a greenie VB developer would be much appreciated... thanks!

Darrell

Hi,

As I understand it, Person Accounts are a record type of an Account.  However, I've been told that a Contact is actually created behind the scenes and associated to the account, just not displayed in the UI.

Is this correct?  Specifically, I would like to be able to access the corresponding contact ID via a custom link at the account level.  Something like Account.ContactID?  Would this work?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks,
Darrell
Hi there,

I've been struggling to figure out a way to achieve the following:

1.  Setup an event
2.  Evaluate (hands off - no record edits or creates) whether the system time = the event due date time

I couln't determine any native field changes at the event level that occur once the due date/time passes.  Workflow rules won't work because the record has to be created or edited.  S-Controls won't work because a user has to invoke.   I don't see a way in which Apex code triggers can work, but perhaps I'm not being that creative.

I basically want the sf.com system to be able to do *anything* based on what time it is, rather than needing an external system to ping every n seconds.  I was hoping to accomplish this with Apex code.

I also don't want an infinite Apex code loop if possible.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks,
Darrell

Hi,

I am writing a sub that queries data (specifically, an aggregate sql query that returns the sum of total bookings grouped by the salesforce user id).  This query returns data from a LOCAL machine.

I can't figure out how to put existing arrays of data with the sf.com ID already known into a data dictionary and then update into salesforce.com  I have plenty of experience downloading data from sf.com, but am having difficulties with the the update call.  The code is below, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Darrell

I am getting an error message that says 'Type Mismatch' on this line:

Public Sub Update()

Dim cnxOperations As ADODB.Connection

Call ConnectOperations(cnxOperations)
Call LoginSalesforce

Dim rstMTD As ADODB.Recordset
Dim fldObject As ADODB.Fields
Dim cmdMTD As ADODB.Command
Dim strMTDsql As String

Dim qr As QueryResultSet
Dim sobj As SObject

strMTDsql = "SELECT tblBookings.SalesRepID, Sum(tblBookings.TotalDeal) AS Total FROM tblBookings INNER JOIN tblBusinessDayCalendar ON tblBookings.BookingDate = tblBusinessDayCalendar.DateID WHERE (((tblBusinessDayCalendar.MonthNumber) = " & Format(Date, "m") & ") And ((tblBusinessDayCalendar.YearNumber) = " & Format(Date, "yyyy") & "))GROUP BY tblBookings.SalesRepID;"
Debug.Print strMTDsql

Set cmdMTD = New ADODB.Command
Set cmdMTD.ActiveConnection = cnxOperations
cmdMTD.CommandText = strMTDsql
cmdMTD.CommandTimeout = 10

'Executing command to retrieve recordset
Set rstMTD = New ADODB.Recordset
Set rstMTD = cmdMTD.Execute
Set fldObject = rstMTD.Fields

Dim Count As Integer
Dim y As Integer
Dim id() As String
Dim dicObjects As New Dictionary

With rstMTD
Do While Not .EOF
dicObjects.Add rstMTD.Fields("SalesRepID").Value, fldObject
.MoveNext
Loop
End With

'updating via sforce API
Dim sobjects() As SObject
Dim i As Integer
ReDim sobjects(dicObjects.Count) As SObject
For i = LBound(sobjects) To UBound(sobjects)
Next

sfdc.Update sobjects, False

MsgBox "Done"

End Sub

Ron's brilliant (and now famous) bi-directional Excel add-in for updating and managing sforce data has been ported to the Office toolkit, and is now available for download at http://sforce.sf.net. Among other things, this means it now supports custom objects and Product2.

Thanks Ron!

Message Edited by adamg on 07-27-2004 09:38 AM

• July 27, 2004