• 0 Points
  • Member since 2007

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Hello, I need some help with a project. I thought this would be an easy task, but it's driving me bonkers.

The company I now work for has a custom table, Inventory.

Inventory is linked to product via the Product ID.

I want to create a report that pulls in information from Opportunity, Opportunity Product and Inventory. Something like:

Account Name, Opportunity Name, Product Name, Quantity in Opportunity, Quantity in Inventory

The trouble is, I cannot get Product to pull informaton from fields in Inventory. I can't figure out how to create a custom report object that combines Opportunity, Product and Inventory. I've got a report that has Product and Inventory, but that doesn't give me any information from Opportunity.

I thought I could create a link table that would get information from Opportunity, Product and Inventory, but I couldn't figure out how to automatically populate the OpportunityID, ProductID and InventoryID fields.

Right now, my workaround is manual. I download data from recently created or recently updated Inventory records into Excel, and then upload the pertinent information into custom fields in the Product table.

Can anybody come up with a way to link Inventory to Product or a way to automatically update the custom Product fields?

Thanks in advance for any and all insights.

Jill

• December 08, 2010

We have a custom Inventory table that is updated nightly. I have created a link table (Inventory Product) that connects Inventory to Product and Opportunity.

What I need is a trigger that will automatically create an Inventory Product record every time that a line item is added to an opportunity.

The trouble is, I do not understand triggers at all. I can't figure out how to create one that will automatically fill in the  Opportunity__c, Product__c and Inventory__c fields when a line item is created. Can somebody please help me? I have been reading sample triggers, but I just don't understand how they are constructed.

Thank you in advance,

J.

• November 23, 2010

When I first started working with SalesForce (in 2005) I was somehow able to pull the SalesForce tables into Excel and link objects that SalesForce didn't provide links for. I haven't been able to do that in my new job and I'm wondering if anybody knows if there is an app that can do that?

• November 14, 2010

Hello, me again.

I'm trying to create a report for Opportunity - Product - Custom Inventory Table. One thought that I've had is to create a link table has links to Opportunity, Product and Inventory. I've tested the link table and its report, and it looks like it gets the information that I want once I create a record that holds the Opportunity ID, the Product ID and the Inventory ID.

The next trick is how to automatically populate the link table? Is there a way to automatically insert the IDs I need when I add a product to an opportunity?

• November 14, 2010

After five months, I have a new job as an SF Admin. Would really rather not go job hunting again for a while, so I want to impress my new employers.

What I have is a custom inventory table that is being fed data from the ERP system. What I want is a way to create a report that lists opportunity, the products in the opportunity, the number of each product and the number of that product that is actually in the inventory. Sort of like this:

Library A - "Beginning Algebra" - 30 copies - 135 in stock.

I would think that linking the Inventory table to the opportunity product table would be easy, but nothing I've tried has worked.

Note, the person who is going to be using this report is not tech savvy. I need my report to be a one click solution for her, even if it's more complicated for me.

• November 14, 2010

We have a custom Inventory table that is updated nightly. I have created a link table (Inventory Product) that connects Inventory to Product and Opportunity.

What I need is a trigger that will automatically create an Inventory Product record every time that a line item is added to an opportunity.

The trouble is, I do not understand triggers at all. I can't figure out how to create one that will automatically fill in the  Opportunity__c, Product__c and Inventory__c fields when a line item is created. Can somebody please help me? I have been reading sample triggers, but I just don't understand how they are constructed.

Thank you in advance,

J.

• November 23, 2010

When I first started working with SalesForce (in 2005) I was somehow able to pull the SalesForce tables into Excel and link objects that SalesForce didn't provide links for. I haven't been able to do that in my new job and I'm wondering if anybody knows if there is an app that can do that?

• November 14, 2010

After five months, I have a new job as an SF Admin. Would really rather not go job hunting again for a while, so I want to impress my new employers.

What I have is a custom inventory table that is being fed data from the ERP system. What I want is a way to create a report that lists opportunity, the products in the opportunity, the number of each product and the number of that product that is actually in the inventory. Sort of like this:

Library A - "Beginning Algebra" - 30 copies - 135 in stock.

I would think that linking the Inventory table to the opportunity product table would be easy, but nothing I've tried has worked.

Note, the person who is going to be using this report is not tech savvy. I need my report to be a one click solution for her, even if it's more complicated for me.

• November 14, 2010

I'm trying to create a report based on the following information:

1. Points achieved for each period

2. Cumulative points achieved as at the end of each period

A period contains several tasks, each with a number of points attributed to it. Item 1 above, 'points achieved per period', is a summary total for all the tasks included in the period.

A sample data set (at summary level) is:

1. Points achieved each period:

Period 1 - 0 points

Period 2 - 10 points

Period 3 - 8 points

Period 4 - 4 points

2. Cumulative points achieved as at the end of each period:

End of Period 1 - 0 points

End of Period 2 - 10 points

End of Period 3 - 18 points

End of Period 4 - 22 points

Is there a summary formula I can use to achieve the cumulative values in item 2 above?

I've tried PREVGROUPVAL but it gives the following results:

End of Period 1 - blank (presumably because there is no PREVGROUPVAL summary value before period 1)

End of Period 2 - 10 points (period 1 + period 2)

End of Period 3 - 18 points (period 2 + period 3)

End of Period 4 - 12 points (period 3 + period 4)

I think the formula is working as expected - i.e. it takes the value for the previous summary period and adds it to the value for the current summary period.

What I need is a cumulative value as at each summary level. Any ideas please?