• 49 Points
  • Member since 2009

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Is there a way that I canoverride the "New" button on a lookup dialogue?

Specifically, I want to override the "New" button after searching for an account by clicking on the magnifying class next to an account field.

Thanks.

• March 07, 2011

I want to display the header for a visual force page.  I put showHeader="true"  in the "<apex:page" line, but the header does not show unless I have a "<apex:detail/>" item on the page.

I know the name of the object row and want that displayed in the header, but I want to format the rest of the page without using the detail view.

Is there anyway that this can be done?

Thanks,

JR

• July 27, 2010

It appears to me that feeds cannot be generated based upon changes in Roll-up summaries and formulas.  Am I missing something or is this actually the case? 

If this is the situation, is there any hope that these can eventually be used for feeds?

Thanks.

• June 23, 2010

I have a developer instance in which I am building an application for eventual deployment on the AppExchange.  I have elected to use the namespace AQ.  Whenever I create a new trigger, Salesforce automatically sets up the trigger as (Interest__c being the name of the object):

trigger StudentInterestUpsert on StudentInterest__c (before insert, before update) {

trigger InterestUpsert on AQ__Interest__c (before insert, before update) {

I recently setup a developer instance of Salesforce which includes Chatter and I want to move my code to that new instance so my application can start interacting with Chatter.  

I am trying to use the Eclipse IDE to deploy the application, but on all of the triggers that were set up as noted above, I get the following message:  

File Name:    triggers/InterestUpsert.trigger

Full Name:  InterestUpsert

Action:  NO ACTION

Result:  FAILED

Problem: Invalid SObject type name: AQ__Interest__c

If I delete he "AQ__" from the name, it verifies OK for deployment.

What do I do to fix this situation?  Is it OK to delete the namespace from the triggers?  How do I reestablish the namespace in the new Salesforce instance?  Will I be able to use AQ again?

I've noticed that my formulas reference the namespace as well as in "AQ__interest.field__c", but this doesn't seem to bother the deployment (maybe the formulas aren't being deployed).  Should I be concerned about this?

I  would appreciate any suggestions you might have to help me get this right,

Thanks,

JR

• April 30, 2010

I have a developer instance in which I am building an application for eventual deployment on the AppExchange.  I have elected to use the namespace AQ.  Whenever I create a new trigger, Salesforce automatically sets up the trigger as (Interest__c being the name of the object):

trigger StudentInterestUpsert on StudentInterest__c (before insert, before update) {

I recently setup a developer instance of Salesforce which includes Chatter and I want to move my code to that new instance so my application can start interacting with Chatter.  

I am trying to use the Eclipse IDE to deploy the application, but on all of the triggers that were set up as noted above, I get the following message:  

What do I do to fix this situation?  Is it OK to delete the namespace from the triggers?  How do I reestablish the namespace in the new Salesforce instance?  Will I be able to use AQ again?

I've noticed that my formulas reference the namespace as well as in "AQ__interest.field__c", but this doesn't seem to bother the deployment (maybe the formulas aren't being deployed).  Should I be concerned about this?

Thanks,

JR

• April 30, 2010
Is there a reason that I can't get the "Do Not Call" field or the "Do Not Email" field to appear on a contact's display?
  • March 15, 2010

I'm preparing a new application for download from the app exchange.  I wanted to test my application for compatibility with another application and received the following error message during the installation of the other package from the appexchange:

1. Apex Classes(01p80000000bqV3) mappingeditcontroller.TestController()
System.Exception: Force1:Too many picklist describes: 11

(Force1)

I contacted the vendor and he said that "SalesForce imposes a limitation on the number of Picklist definitions available across all installed packages."

What does this mean?  Is there a limit of 10 picklists in all installed applications?  It sounds more like the error message says that there are too many picklists in that specific controller, but I can't find anything about a limitation in the number of picklist fields.

Can anyone out there clarify this for me?

Thanks much for your help. 

• March 12, 2010

I'm trying to figure out how to use aggregate results and just can't seem to get it.  I've copied this exact statement from the Apex Code Developer's Guide into an otherwise valid class:

AggregateResult[] groupedResults = [SELECT CampaignId, AVG(Amount) test,  FROM Opportunity GROUP BY CampaignId];

I get the error "Invalid Type: AgregateResult".

Obviously, I'm missing the boat somewhere.  Can anyone enlighten me about what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks. 

• February 08, 2010

I am wondering if DML statements and SOQL statements in a trigger in the following sequence count against governor limits:

Master object A has detail object B.  Object A has summary fields summarizing fields from object b.  There is an after update trigger on object A.

As I understand it, the updating of the summary fields on A following and update to the B object will cause the A object's after update trigger to fire.  Will the DML associated with that firing (and any SOQL embedded in the trigger) count against my governor limits?

If object B updates a large number of rows at the same time, will the trigger for object A be somehow bulkified as well?  If not, and the triggers DML and SOQL statements could against the limits, is there any technique I might use to get around this?

Thanks for your help,

JR 

• February 07, 2010

As I understand it, summary fields generally act in a lazy fashion, that is, they update when time is available on the processor.  However, I am wondering if there is any way to force a summary field to execute. 

As an example, I have master object A with child object B.  There is a numeric field on child object B which is totalled in a summary field on object A.  I would like to use the value of the summary field in object A from inside the trigger for object B.  In other words, I want to take some action on object A based on summary field totals in object A each time an object B is modified or added.

This obviously requires that the summary field be executed prior to evaluation in the trigger.  Does Apex realize this and force the summary to be calculated at that moment before execution of the code evaluating the summary field or does Apex simply use whatever value is there at the time of execution?

That's for lending your experience on this issue. 

JR 

• February 02, 2010

As I understand it, every object id always begins with a three character identifier that indicates the type of object.  For example, accounts always begin with 001 and contacts begin with 003.  My custom objects have also been assigned an identifier.

Will this three character identifier always be the same regardless of the instance of Salesforce in which it is installed?  In particular, I'm curious if the identifier would be maintained if I packaged my application and then it was downloaded and installed into another Salesforce instance.

I'm guessing the answer to this question is no, but I'd appreciate getting confirmation on this if anyone knows a definitive answer.

Thanks.

• February 27, 2009

Is it possible to call a visualforce page with parameters (in a managed package) from Javascript?

I want to add a sidebar component to call my help system.  The component would collect the url of the current page with javascript and then send the url to the visualforce page which would parse the url to determine page context and then call my help file.

Any ideas on how this might be accomplished?

Thanks,

JR

• February 27, 2009

Is there a way using Apex code to determine the page context being displayed in the main Salesforce page frame?

I'd like to create a link in the sidebar to a help page which would recognize the context of what was being displayed in the main frame.  Is there any way for me to determine what object or visual force page is being displayed?  Can I obtain the URL?  For those pages without much information in the URL, can I obtain the action that caused the currently displayed page to be displayed?

Any help, ideas, or alternate suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jeff

• February 26, 2009

Is there a limit to the number of VisualForce pages that can be included in a managed package?

JR

• February 24, 2009

I would appreciate it if those of you who have added help systems to their application would share the technique that they used and your relative satisfaction with the results.

Have you used something like RoboHelp or Doc to Help and linked from your Salesforce pages?  Have you set up custom VisualForce pages to display help?  Has anyone added a help system which allows uses to supplement application provided help with local help?

Thanks for any comments you might be able to provide?

JR

• February 24, 2009

I am displaying a list of items using the selectcheckboxes in a manner virtually identical to the example from the VisualForce documentation on page 210 as reflected below.

I am interested in checking some of the checkboxes as they are displayed, without user input.  What code would need to be added to this example in order for my checkboxes to appear checked as they are being displayed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff

<!-- Page: --> <apex:page controller="sampleCon"> <apex:form> <apex:selectCheckboxes value="{!countries}" title="Choose a country"> <apex:selectOptions value="{!items}"/> </apex:selectCheckboxes><br/> <apex:commandButton value="Test" action="{!test}" rerender="out" status="status"/> </apex:form> <apex:outputPanel id="out"> <apex:actionstatus id="status" startText="testing..."> <apex:facet name="stop"> <apex:outputPanel> <p>You have selected:</p> <apex:dataList value="{!countries}" var="c">a:{!c}</apex:dataList> </apex:outputPanel> </apex:facet> </apex:actionstatus> </apex:outputPanel> </apex:page> /*** Controller: ***/ public class sampleCon { String[] countries = new String[]{}; public PageReference test() { return null; } public List<SelectOption> getItems() { List<SelectOption> options = new List<SelectOption>(); options.add(new SelectOption('US','US')); options.add(new SelectOption('CANADA','Canada')); options.add(new SelectOption('MEXICO','Mexico')); return options; } public String[] getCountries() { return countries; } public void setCountries(String[] countries) { this.countries = countries; } } Attributes

• February 21, 2009

I am using a visualforce page with a controller extension.  The page is called from a custom list button, so when the page is called, the id from the master object (object a) on the page is passed to the page as a parameter automatically by visualforce.

I have created a custom object (object b) which is linked to object a and the contact object via a master/detail relationship.  When I navigate to the page referenced above, I display a page block section asking the user to input the contact information.  Below that, I use the <apex:detail title="true"/> syntax to display object a detail from the object from which this page was called together with a title at the top of the page.

Under normal circumstances, this all works fine.

However, if there is an error in the entry of the contact, I get a page refresh which displays the page block section with the error message.  This message looks exactly as would be expected.  Unfortunately, the record detail block and the title do not refresh.  If I look at the address displayed at the top of the browser, the id of the original master object (object a) has been lost which would explain why the detail was not displayed.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?  If it is a bug, is there some not too complex workaround?

Thanks for reading this and any help you migh be able to render.

JR

• February 19, 2009

I am creating an application that I will eventually distribute via the appExchange as a managed package and have some questions regarding potential limitations that I would like to have clarified.

1.  I would like to place a link to a report on a page layout.  I've followed the instructions in the documentation to find the id for the report and have successfully embedded the link to the report in my application by creating the a relative URL reference as instructed.  But it occurs to me that the report would not have the same id in the customer's installation.  Is that correct?  If so, how can I set up a link to a specific report in a page layout?

2.  I want to create custom buttons for placement on standard objects as well as custom objects.  I have done this successfully with both relative URL's (as in "/apex/mypage") and by linking the button directly to a visual force page.  There are some instances where I would prefer to use relative URL's because I can include parameters.  I have seen some references on these boards which indicate that a relative URL used on a custom button cannot be packaged.  I also heard the following in a recent Salesforce webinar: "You can't package a generic reference to a custom object on a custom button."  Can someone please clarify this for me?  Can relative references (URL's with parameters as I understand it such as /apex/mypage?parm1=test) be used in managed package?  If they can't be used on a button or link, can they be used as part of a pagereference in the apex code attached to the visual force page?  Is there any documentation on this issue?

3.  According to the help documentation, visual force pages are "editable, but not upgradable".  If I want to update a visual force page in my packaged application in a subsequent version, how do I accomplish that?

Any help on these concerns would be greatly appreciated.

• January 28, 2009
I am trying to call a Visualforce page from a custom list button.  I have done this successfully from a detail page button by creating a page using a standard controller for the detail object, selecting Visualforce page as the content source and then picking the page I wanted from the pull down list for content.

However, I can't seem to get this to work for a list button.  I pick the list button option on the custom button or link page, and pick visualforce page for the content source, but I don't get my visualforce page to appear in the content pull down list.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

As an adjunct question, should I be using the standard controller for the detail object being displayed at the top of the page or for the objects being referenced in the list (in the case I'm working on now, the objects in the list are the same object as the detail object and reference back to the detail object)? 

I understand that one of the benefits of using a visualforce page in this manner is that the id for the detail object is automatically passed to the visualforce page, thereby making data display easier on the detail page.  If a visualforce page can be invoked from a list button, what object id is passed?  That of the detail item at the top of the page?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jeff

• January 16, 2009

Is there a way that I canoverride the "New" button on a lookup dialogue?

Specifically, I want to override the "New" button after searching for an account by clicking on the magnifying class next to an account field.

Thanks.

• March 07, 2011

I want to display the header for a visual force page.  I put showHeader="true"  in the "<apex:page" line, but the header does not show unless I have a "<apex:detail/>" item on the page.

I know the name of the object row and want that displayed in the header, but I want to format the rest of the page without using the detail view.

Is there anyway that this can be done?

Thanks,

JR

• July 27, 2010

Thanks,

JR

• April 30, 2010
Is there a reason that I can't get the "Do Not Call" field or the "Do Not Email" field to appear on a contact's display?
  • March 15, 2010

I'm preparing a new application for download from the app exchange.  I wanted to test my application for compatibility with another application and received the following error message during the installation of the other package from the appexchange:

1. Apex Classes(01p80000000bqV3) mappingeditcontroller.TestController()
System.Exception: Force1:Too many picklist describes: 11

(Force1)

I contacted the vendor and he said that "SalesForce imposes a limitation on the number of Picklist definitions available across all installed packages."

What does this mean?  Is there a limit of 10 picklists in all installed applications?  It sounds more like the error message says that there are too many picklists in that specific controller, but I can't find anything about a limitation in the number of picklist fields.

Can anyone out there clarify this for me?

Thanks much for your help. 

• March 12, 2010

I'm trying to figure out how to use aggregate results and just can't seem to get it.  I've copied this exact statement from the Apex Code Developer's Guide into an otherwise valid class:

AggregateResult[] groupedResults = [SELECT CampaignId, AVG(Amount) test,  FROM Opportunity GROUP BY CampaignId];

I get the error "Invalid Type: AgregateResult".

Obviously, I'm missing the boat somewhere.  Can anyone enlighten me about what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks. 

• February 08, 2010

As I understand it, every object id always begins with a three character identifier that indicates the type of object.  For example, accounts always begin with 001 and contacts begin with 003.  My custom objects have also been assigned an identifier.

Will this three character identifier always be the same regardless of the instance of Salesforce in which it is installed?  In particular, I'm curious if the identifier would be maintained if I packaged my application and then it was downloaded and installed into another Salesforce instance.

I'm guessing the answer to this question is no, but I'd appreciate getting confirmation on this if anyone knows a definitive answer.

Thanks.

• February 27, 2009

I'm testing a lead distribution application in sandbox by uploading leads via the Import Wizard.  I turn on the debug log for my license and start the import, but my apex @future method doesn't seem to fire.  I check the apex job monitor and there's no sign of any calls to my @future method.  

Also: when I use the data loader, it works fine....any ideas?? 

for (lead l : trigger.new) {

leadids.add(l.id);

}

if (leadids.size() > 0) {

system.debug('routing leads now!!!!');

LeadAssignment.routeLeads(leadids);

}

EDIT: also, I'm receiving an email with the following content (which doesn't make any sense because the leads table is empty when I'm attempting to upload via the wizard):

Force.com Sandbox

Alert: All information in the import file was already in Salesforce.

Result: No data was created or modified in Salesforce.

44 values: unexpected errors. Line number(s): 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

If you encounter any problems or have any questions, please contact us by clicking Help & Training at the top right of any Salesforce page and choosing the My Cases tab.

Thank you!

Customer Support

salesforce.com 

Message Edited by joe ferraro on 02-25-2009 08:54 PM

Is there a limit to the number of VisualForce pages that can be included in a managed package?

JR

• February 24, 2009

Hi,

I am working on a Flex application integration with Salesforce.

It was working fine until i created a managed package. Now it  gives Page test2__MyExamplePage does not exist message.

I developed the application and created the managed package in my Test Account 1. Managed package namespace is test1.

I installed managed package to my Test Account 2. It also has a namespace named test2.

The problem is in this code:

/apex/MyExamplePage?objectId={!Campaign.Id}&returnUrl={!URLFOR( $Action.Campaign.View , Campaign.Id)}

And this code is defined in my object's custom button. Content Source is URL.

Whenever I click that button from Test Account 2, it tries to find test2.na6.salesforce.com/apex/MyExamplePage?xxxxxxxxxx.

But it should try to connect to test1 namespace.

How can I forward it to the right namespace?

Thanks,

Umut

I am displaying a list of items using the selectcheckboxes in a manner virtually identical to the example from the VisualForce documentation on page 210 as reflected below.

I am interested in checking some of the checkboxes as they are displayed, without user input.  What code would need to be added to this example in order for my checkboxes to appear checked as they are being displayed?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Jeff

<!-- Page: --> <apex:page controller="sampleCon"> <apex:form> <apex:selectCheckboxes value="{!countries}" title="Choose a country"> <apex:selectOptions value="{!items}"/> </apex:selectCheckboxes><br/> <apex:commandButton value="Test" action="{!test}" rerender="out" status="status"/> </apex:form> <apex:outputPanel id="out"> <apex:actionstatus id="status" startText="testing..."> <apex:facet name="stop"> <apex:outputPanel> <p>You have selected:</p> <apex:dataList value="{!countries}" var="c">a:{!c}</apex:dataList> </apex:outputPanel> </apex:facet> </apex:actionstatus> </apex:outputPanel> </apex:page> /*** Controller: ***/ public class sampleCon { String[] countries = new String[]{}; public PageReference test() { return null; } public List<SelectOption> getItems() { List<SelectOption> options = new List<SelectOption>(); options.add(new SelectOption('US','US')); options.add(new SelectOption('CANADA','Canada')); options.add(new SelectOption('MEXICO','Mexico')); return options; } public String[] getCountries() { return countries; } public void setCountries(String[] countries) { this.countries = countries; } } Attributes

• February 21, 2009

I am using a visualforce page with a controller extension.  The page is called from a custom list button, so when the page is called, the id from the master object (object a) on the page is passed to the page as a parameter automatically by visualforce.

I have created a custom object (object b) which is linked to object a and the contact object via a master/detail relationship.  When I navigate to the page referenced above, I display a page block section asking the user to input the contact information.  Below that, I use the <apex:detail title="true"/> syntax to display object a detail from the object from which this page was called together with a title at the top of the page.

Under normal circumstances, this all works fine.

However, if there is an error in the entry of the contact, I get a page refresh which displays the page block section with the error message.  This message looks exactly as would be expected.  Unfortunately, the record detail block and the title do not refresh.  If I look at the address displayed at the top of the browser, the id of the original master object (object a) has been lost which would explain why the detail was not displayed.

Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?  If it is a bug, is there some not too complex workaround?

Thanks for reading this and any help you migh be able to render.

JR

• February 19, 2009

Hi,

I am looking for a way to Display and Hide a Button placed on LIST  View of records, like All Contacts list view where I place a button to Update selected records, but I Do NOT Want ALL users to SEE that button, I only want Users of Certain Profile which can see the Button and then click it to Update Records.

How can I achieve this ?

• January 29, 2009
I am trying to call a Visualforce page from a custom list button.  I have done this successfully from a detail page button by creating a page using a standard controller for the detail object, selecting Visualforce page as the content source and then picking the page I wanted from the pull down list for content.

However, I can't seem to get this to work for a list button.  I pick the list button option on the custom button or link page, and pick visualforce page for the content source, but I don't get my visualforce page to appear in the content pull down list.

Is there something I'm doing wrong?

As an adjunct question, should I be using the standard controller for the detail object being displayed at the top of the page or for the objects being referenced in the list (in the case I'm working on now, the objects in the list are the same object as the detail object and reference back to the detail object)? 

I understand that one of the benefits of using a visualforce page in this manner is that the id for the detail object is automatically passed to the visualforce page, thereby making data display easier on the detail page.  If a visualforce page can be invoked from a list button, what object id is passed?  That of the detail item at the top of the page?

Thanks in advance for your help,
Jeff

• January 16, 2009