• Member since 2009

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Hi,

Is it possible to use a visualforce page as an approval layout?

Thanks!

Scott

• June 10, 2009
Is there a way to throw a File Not Found exception in Apex that will cause the File Not Found page to be shown in a site context, or is the only way to redirect to the file not found page if I detect missing content?
  • June 10, 2009

Hi,

I'm hoping there's a simple solution to the problem I'm running into. To write my tests so that they are  independent of any organization, I would like to create new test users in my test methods and then use RunAs to verify expected behavior as the different types of users. The problem I'm running into is that if an organization has maxed out their licenses I can't create the users for my tests. Is there anyway to get around this?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Scott

• May 13, 2009

Hi,

I'd like to create a sitemap for google for our website. The only problem is that the file google looks for needs to be in xml or txt format. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks!

Scott

• May 06, 2009

Hi!

I have controller that returns a visualforce page as a pdf. It works in my development organization but when I installed it into my production organization it stopped working. It seems like it has something to do with the security settings since I get the site is down for maintenance message. Is there somewhere I can enable pdf generation for the public user? I couldn't see it in the site settings anywhere.

• April 30, 2009

Hi,

Is it possible to enable tags for public objects? 

A use case would be to take advantage of salesforce's built in public tagging capabilities to display a related content panel based on the tags on dynamically generated web page. 

• April 29, 2009

The SOQL query limit for the Syndication feature is too small.

At first it might seem like 256 characters is plenty, but if you start having to throw in prefixs and suffixes at the end of every object and field for managed package objects, it quickly gets out of hand especially if your referencing parent objects and have a failry complex where clauses.

The situation I have is a managed package with an object that has a many to many relationship to another object implemented through a junction object. I want to generate a feed from the junction object since it has access to all the fields I need to filter with and and the field I need to display. As it stands I can get a maximum of 2 fields and 1 where clause squeezed in. So my feed right now is a title and a link to more details.

If I could set the namespace and drop the __r's and __c's it would help a lot or at least don't count them towards the character limit

• April 29, 2009

Hi,

I created some rss feeds in a developer organization, but I don't appear to have the option in my production organization. I'm assuming this is because RSS Feeds aren't available in the pilot. Is this correct?

Thanks,

Scott

• April 28, 2009

Hi,

Is it possible to use SOSL in public sites. I have a search query that always returns 0. I know there are objects of the type I'm returning that match the query I'm passing in, and the public user has read access to the object. Do I need to enable search for the user some how? 

Thanks!

Scott

• April 27, 2009

Hi,

I've created a managed package with an object that has a custom text field with a limit of 20 characters. It turns out it's not enough. Is there anyway short of creating a new field that I can change this in the next release?

Thanks!

Scott

• April 23, 2009

Hi,

I've run into a very annoying problem. I have a simple visualforce page that displayes an organizations address pulling from the organization fields, like so:

<apex:outputText value="{!SUBSTITUTE($Organization.Street, '\n', '<br />')}" escape="false" /><br /> <apex:outputText value="{!$Organization.City}" />, <apex:outputText value="{!$Organization.State}" />&nbsp;<apex:outputText value="{!$Organization.Country}" />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<apex:outputText value="{!$Organization.PostalCode}" /> <br />

As you can see I'm tyring to replace the new line character with html break tags. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be picking up the newline character. I really don't want to write custom controller just to generate a string with proper line breaks (this is all the controller would do for this page, I have no need for anything else). Is there a different character for line breaks that I'm missing? 

• April 22, 2009

Hi all,

It seems that DML actions are not allowed in component objects. My use case is for a form component that can be displayed on any visualforce page to collect contact information. Is there a way around the DML restriction in components? I've tried passing in the controller of the visualforce page and calling it's actions but I get a visualforce error with no message just the name of the action I'm trying to call. Any ideas or is DML for components on the road map? 

Thanks!

Scott

• April 22, 2009

Hi,

I've uploaded a managed package to my production organization with our website application. Once I installed it and made sure all the needed objects were accessible to the public profile I tried to view the home page and recieved the following error:

No such column 'Id' on entity 'Prefix__CustomObject__c'. If you are attempting to use a custom field, be sure to append the '__c' after the custom field name. Please reference your WSDL or the describe call for the appropriate names.

• April 15, 2009

Hi all,

What's the best way to generate search engine friendly urls for dynamic content with sites? 

Scott

• March 26, 2009

Hi!

I have controller that returns a visualforce page as a pdf. It works in my development organization but when I installed it into my production organization it stopped working. It seems like it has something to do with the security settings since I get the site is down for maintenance message. Is there somewhere I can enable pdf generation for the public user? I couldn't see it in the site settings anywhere.

• April 30, 2009

Hi,

Is it possible to enable tags for public objects? 

A use case would be to take advantage of salesforce's built in public tagging capabilities to display a related content panel based on the tags on dynamically generated web page. 

• April 29, 2009

Hi,

Is it possible to use SOSL in public sites. I have a search query that always returns 0. I know there are objects of the type I'm returning that match the query I'm passing in, and the public user has read access to the object. Do I need to enable search for the user some how? 

Thanks!

Scott

• April 27, 2009

Hi,

I've run into a very annoying problem. I have a simple visualforce page that displayes an organizations address pulling from the organization fields, like so:

<apex:outputText value="{!SUBSTITUTE($Organization.Street, '\n', '<br />')}" escape="false" /><br /> <apex:outputText value="{!$Organization.City}" />, <apex:outputText value="{!$Organization.State}" />&nbsp;<apex:outputText value="{!$Organization.Country}" />&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<apex:outputText value="{!$Organization.PostalCode}" /> <br />

As you can see I'm tyring to replace the new line character with html break tags. Unfortunately it doesn't seem to be picking up the newline character. I really don't want to write custom controller just to generate a string with proper line breaks (this is all the controller would do for this page, I have no need for anything else). Is there a different character for line breaks that I'm missing? 

• April 22, 2009

Hi all,

It seems that DML actions are not allowed in component objects. My use case is for a form component that can be displayed on any visualforce page to collect contact information. Is there a way around the DML restriction in components? I've tried passing in the controller of the visualforce page and calling it's actions but I get a visualforce error with no message just the name of the action I'm trying to call. Any ideas or is DML for components on the road map? 

Thanks!

Scott

• April 22, 2009

Hi,

I've uploaded a managed package to my production organization with our website application. Once I installed it and made sure all the needed objects were accessible to the public profile I tried to view the home page and recieved the following error:

No such column 'Id' on entity 'Prefix__CustomObject__c'. If you are attempting to use a custom field, be sure to append the '__c' after the custom field name. Please reference your WSDL or the describe call for the appropriate names.

• April 15, 2009

I have a Beta package which successfully installs into DE orgs, but when I tried to install it into a Sandbox org the installation keeps failing with the following message:

Your requested install failed. Please try this again.

None of the data or setup information in your Salesforce organization should have been affected by this error.

If this error persists, contact Salesforce Support through your normal channels and reference number: 633711162-5829 (-134333623)

I logged a case with support.  Case #2532182.  Any help appreciated.

Is there any way to support person accounts in a managed package without making Person Account features a pre-requisite for installing the package?

I'd like to provide the option to create person-account instead of contacts in an Apex class that auto creates contacts after a certain event for those users  who have person-accounts enabled.   However, I don't want to have to require package users to install person-accounts.

Thanks,

Hi All,

I'm the Product Manager for packaging here at salesforce.com.  We're currently working on a feature that would allow fields and objects to be removed from managed packages.  This is a popular request and something we're hoping to deliver very soon, but we need your help.  Please respond to this post with any thoughts around this topic.  I've included a few questions to get the conversation going:

• Why do you want to remove these?  No longer used?  Customers didn't like them?  Replace with a new field?
  • When you deprecate a field/object, what should happen for existing customers?  New customers?
  • Would you have to remove all usage of a field/object in your app before you can deprecate it?  What happens if you've included the field in another formula field, etc?  
Thanks for your time and input!
Message Edited by A_Smith on 02-20-2009 05:55 PM

Hi all,

Has anybody seen this problem before. When I try to navigate to my sites site. I see this:

Page Not Found: /

Stay tuned. Please email us if you need to get in touch.

And I get this email in my inbox:

There was a problem loading the FileNotFound page -- the designated Page Not Found Page (404) for Force.com site "root" -- when processing the following URL request: http://bhivesb1-developer-edition.na6.force.com/.

Note that the above page is not my 'FileNotFound' page (as I modified it slightly to tell the difference). This appears to be a failsafe page of some sort.

There's nothing interesting about this site. It's the default site. The only thing interesting was that it was in a DE with a managed package (and therefore w/ a package prefix).

The previews work fine.

Also, I tried this in another DE which did not have a managed package or prefix (and things were working). Then I set a package prefix and it failed in the same way.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

• February 20, 2009
If you are displaying a field from an sObject, <apex:outputField> does a nice job of adding decimal points and commas for thousands, etc.

If you are displaying your own variable (decimal), you cannot use <apex:outputField> becuase it is not part of an sObject.

Is there some easy way to add formatting to change 123456.78 into 123,456.78 dynamically? Do I need to convert the number to a string and then manipulate? Do I need to use JS to modify client-side? These would work but seem heavy-handed for what see be a common requirement.
  • October 30, 2008
I was experimenting this morning with trying to return Visualforce markup from a call in the controller.  It almost worked, but it appears that the variable returning the Visualforce markup was resolved after the rest of the APEX was resolved for rendering, so it didn't process the Visualforce. 

The purpose of my experimenting is to dynamically build a panelGrid with a differing number of columns (The columns including inputfields) based on prevously selected information on a previous screen of a wizard.

A snippet of the Page Code (in this case building the column heading row for a couple of fields):
Code:
<apex:outputLabel value="Shipping Plant" for="Shipping_Plant__c"/>
<apex:panelGroup>
    <apex:outputLabel value="Potential Annual Volume" for="Potential_Annual_Volume__c"/>
    <apex:outputLabel value="UOM" for="Potential_Annual_Volume_UOM__c"/>
</apex:panelGroup>
{!TectylLabel}
<apex:outputLabel value="AD Compound—" for="AD_Compound__c"/>
<apex:outputLabel value="OEM" for="OEM__c"/>

For testing, in my Controller, I put the following:
Code:
public String getTectylLabel() {
    return '<apex:outputLabel value="Tectyl Product—" for="Tectyl_Product__c"/>';
}

The resulting page ran correctly, but did not rendor the code above, but when I look at the source for that area of the page I see:
Code:
<TD><LABEL for=j_id0:j_id3:j_id4:j_id10:Potential_Annual_Volume__c>Potential 
Annual Volume</LABEL><LABEL 
for=j_id0:j_id3:j_id4:j_id10:Potential_Annual_Volume_UOM__c> UOM</LABEL></TD>

<TD><APEX:OUTPUTLABEL for="Tectyl_Product__c" value="Tectyl Product—" /></TD>

<TD><LABEL for=j_id0:j_id3:j_id4:j_id10:AD_Compound__c>AD Compound–</LABEL></TD>

What's interesting is that it did wrap the returned string in a <TD></TD>, but it just treated it as a string. 

There may be a way to do this that I'm missing.  I think being able to actually return Visualforce code from an APEX call would be an extremely powerful feature that would increase the ability to dynamically generate the interface.  I'm sure I'll find a way to do what I'm trying to do without this kind of functionality but I figured it would be good to post my findings in case someone else is trying this and has succeeded, or as an idea for future functionality.

Jon Keener