• Member since 2010

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Hi,

We are an ISV, working on a Force.com app that will not include any CRM functionality.  Moreover, in most cases, our customers will not be Salesforce CRM customers.  We intend to offer three editions of our product to our customers: Base, Intermediate and Advanced.  Intermediate would be a superset of Base and Advanced would be a superset of Intermediate.  We want to provide our customers the ability to start with Base or Intermediate and later on, upgrade to the higher editions.  We would also like to provide them the ability to downgrade at a later point if they chose to.  Some questions:

1. From what I can tell, the only way for us to accomplish editions is by creating extension packages.  Is that true, or is there an alternative option available.

2. If we create extension packages, will the upgrade to a higher edition be seamless i.e. will the customer's data be preserved?

3. With the extension packages approach, can a customer even downgrade to a lower edition?  If yes, will his data (that which is relevant to the lower edition) be preserved?

Thanks,

Sumit

• November 04, 2010

Hi,

I created an app (MyDemoApp) with some classes, triggers, VisualForce and Google Visualization directly from the browser (i.e. without using the Force.com IDE).  Then, I installed the Force.com IDE on my Mac, and created a Force.com Project.  Next, I had the IDE connect to my Force.com account to download all the metadata components for my application.  I opted to fetch all the components.  Force.com IDE does its thing, and after a while it finishes without any errors.  However, when I go look in my project under src/applications, the metadata file for my application, MyDemoApp.app, is missing.  The file doesn't show up even if I do a "Refresh from Server" on src/applications, src or the entire project.  If I look in package.xml, I see MyDemoApp in the CustomApplications section.  The wierd thing is that the only other app that I have (Force.com) shows up fine i.e. Force_com.app is present in src/applications.  If I change any files (e.g. an Apex Class) and compile it, I get no errors and my changes are reflected in the test org.

I don't know if this is related, but when I do a "Refresh from Server", I get the following Warning message:

"Refresh error: Cannot retrieve documents in a user's private folder; move the document to a named folder".

Removing the Force.com app, not selecting it as a component to be fetched, restarting the IDE, etc. doesn't help.  MyDemoApp.app just doesn't show up.  I want to put all my files in SVN, and therefore, want to download the .app file as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sumit

• September 15, 2010

Hi,

I was wondering if there was any information on how S2S and Trialforce work together.  Let me explain my use case first and then what I am trying to do.

Use case: We require data sharing between our customers' orgs (who will be using our managed app - a standalone app that will be used by non-SFDC CRM customers) and our own "Central" org.  The "Central" org will host data that will be accessed by the "Customer" orgs.  The "Central" org collects data from a variety of sources, processes it, and makes it avaiable for the "Customer" orgs.  The "Customer" orgs further process this data by combining it with some of their own, proprietary data.  Salesforce to Salesforce seems to be the ideal model to make this sharing happen.  Using Apex to do this as per some other posts seems to be a very narly affair that I would like to try and avoid.

We would like to use Trialforce to deploy the "Customer" org.  In order to give our customers a painless out of the box experience, we would like to configure the Trialforce Master org to have S2S enabled and configured to automatically connect with our "Central" org and automatically subscribe to the Custom objects that the "Central" org publishes.  In addition, we would like the Master org to be configured to automatically accept all records that the "Central" org pushes out.

Is something like this possible?  What have others done?  If this is not possible, what are the alternatives?

Thanks,

Sumit

• September 03, 2010

Hi,

I created an app (MyDemoApp) with some classes, triggers, VisualForce and Google Visualization directly from the browser (i.e. without using the Force.com IDE).  Then, I installed the Force.com IDE on my Mac, and created a Force.com Project.  Next, I had the IDE connect to my Force.com account to download all the metadata components for my application.  I opted to fetch all the components.  Force.com IDE does its thing, and after a while it finishes without any errors.  However, when I go look in my project under src/applications, the metadata file for my application, MyDemoApp.app, is missing.  The file doesn't show up even if I do a "Refresh from Server" on src/applications, src or the entire project.  If I look in package.xml, I see MyDemoApp in the CustomApplications section.  The wierd thing is that the only other app that I have (Force.com) shows up fine i.e. Force_com.app is present in src/applications.  If I change any files (e.g. an Apex Class) and compile it, I get no errors and my changes are reflected in the test org.

I don't know if this is related, but when I do a "Refresh from Server", I get the following Warning message:

"Refresh error: Cannot retrieve documents in a user's private folder; move the document to a named folder".

Removing the Force.com app, not selecting it as a component to be fetched, restarting the IDE, etc. doesn't help.  MyDemoApp.app just doesn't show up.  I want to put all my files in SVN, and therefore, want to download the .app file as well.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Sumit

• September 15, 2010