• Member since 2011

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Hello Developerforce!

I am a student developer with Oregon State University's Business Solutions Group and we are currently working on a Salesforce migration/integration project for one of the University's colleges. As you can imagine, the data we are working with is coming from several different places and in a variety of different formats. I was wondering if anyone with more experience in setting up Salesforce object schemas could talk about the pros and cons of relational database style normalization in Salesforce. What do we gain by not normalizing and using Record Types to categorize data? What do we lose?        

This message was inspired by this webpage: http://www.sforceguru.com/record-types

It seemed helpful, albeit incomplete.         

The answer to this question seems critical to the success of this project, so any thoughts or advice are very much appreciated. Thanks!

Hello Developerforce!

I am a student developer with Oregon State University's Business Solutions Group and we are currently working on a Salesforce migration/integration project for one of the University's colleges. As you can imagine, the data we are working with is coming from several different places and in a variety of different formats. I was wondering if anyone with more experience in setting up Salesforce object schemas could talk about the pros and cons of relational database style normalization in Salesforce. What do we gain by not normalizing and using Record Types to categorize data? What do we lose?        

This message was inspired by this webpage: http://www.sforceguru.com/record-types

It seemed helpful, albeit incomplete.         

The answer to this question seems critical to the success of this project, so any thoughts or advice are very much appreciated. Thanks!