function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
parks0231parks0231 

Working with Campaigns & Opportunities

I am starting to implement campaigns at my organization, and there are some things that seem like double work. I'm wondering if I should be setting up workflow rules or if I'm using fields in the wrong way.

So, let's say we have campaign "Spring 2013" and I get a response back in the form of revenue from the organization / contact that was sent the campaign. 

When I get the check in, I enter it as an opportunity in SF, adding Spring 2013 as primary campaign source and then separately I have to go into the contact record and mark the campaign member as responded. This seems weird and redundant.

Jeff MayJeff May

Using this approach is redundant.  Generally, when you define your Campaign, you add Campaign Members to it. Then, as you reach out to the Campaign Members via email or other marketing mechanisms, the CampaignMember record is updated. When a Campaign Member responds, the Campaign info is updated, and as a result of that response, you might end up getting Revenue.  

Opportunities are generally used to represent possible revenue.  With many (hopefully) ending up as ClosedWon, and the rest ending up as ClosedLost. This lets you track success rates, a revenue pipeline, and see where (and possibly why) you've lost deals.

If your only data entry is on the Opportunity, then you would need a trigger to lookup the Primary Camaign, then create a Campaign Member using the ContactID from the Opportunity, and setting the appropriate CampaignMember response fields.    This approach doesn't give you very good insight into the effectiveness of your Campaigns, however it does allow you to populate Campaigns with only those Contacts who have already given you revenue.