function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sfcksfck 

Struggling with Git and Eclipse

1. The eclipse Git plugin seems to have no way of removing files from source control except by command line.

2. I don't want to keep managed packages in source control, but I am unable to remove them even if I DO use the command line! They just keep coming back.

I want to roll out Git to the company I work with, and these are looking like show-stoppers, I've spent days ... maybe just missing something obvious? Any help much appreciated!

Ispita_NavatarIspita_Navatar

Hi,

You can try this 

you would open a bash session, go to the root directory of your project currently shared with Git (the one directory with the .git in it), and run the git clean -d.

for more detail refer the followong link

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6572892/egit-switching-branches-doesnt-remove-empty-directories-packages

Did this answer your question? If not, let me know what didn't work, or if so, please mark it solved. 

sfcksfck

Hi,

Git clean -d seems to be about removing untracked files from the working directory.  I want to do the opposite - keep the local copy but stop the file being tracked - the eqiuvalent of "git rm --cached".

Using EGit, I get commit errors after doing Team->Untrack or running "git rm --cached" in a terminal. 

Using the Aptana plugin, there seems to be no GUI way to untrack a file but at least it lets me commit after running "git rm --cached" in a terminal.

I would really like a GUI way of untracking a file that then allows you to commit and push upstream thus removing the file from the upstream repo.

Never mind about referenced packages, I think that is a separate problem.