function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
RobinrobRobinrob 

Programmatically insert XML newline from Apex String

This is really bugging me!

I am trying to fill a <gd:recurrence> tag for a Google Calendar event XML feed, using a String created in apex like so:

Dom.Xmlnode node = event.getXMLRoot();
        Dom.Xmlnode child = null;

node.setAttribute('xmlns:gd', GData.XMLNS_GD_ATOM);
        node.setAttribute('xmlns:gCal', GData.CALENDAR_ATOM);

child = node.addChildElement('gd:transparency', null, null);
        child.setAttribute('value', GDataEntry.KIND_EVENT + '.opaque');
        child = node.addChildElement('gd:eventStatus', null, null);
        child.setAttribute('value', GDataEntry.EVENT_STATUS_CONFIRMED);

child = node.addChildElement('gd:recurrence', null, null);
        String text = 'DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20120101\nDTEND;VALUE=DATE:20120101\nRRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;BYDAY=Tu;UNTIL=20123101';
        child.addTextNode(text);

What i need in the XML output for the <gd:recurrence> tag is this:

<gd:recurrence>DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20120101
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20120101
RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;BYDAY=Tu;UNTIL=20123101
</gd:recurrence>

What i get is this:

<gd:recurrence>DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20120101

The XML terminates there. Should i be inserting something else for the newline? It is necessary to have newlines in the XML between the parameters of the <gd:recurrence> tag.

Thanks for your time!

Platy ITPlaty IT
I believe you need a /n for a new line (you currently have \n ).
RobinrobRobinrob

The /n didn't work unfortunately.

Andy BoettcherAndy Boettcher

The \ character in an APEX string is an "escape character", which may be why that string is terminating out like that.

Depending on how you're constructing that string - instead of a single slash, put TWO slashes in there.  That should escape out to be a single slash for processing.

-Andy

Platy ITPlaty IT
Sorry, it's coming back to me now- what you have is correct but needs the escape character before it. Try //n

Aaahh BINGO - good point.  I just did a #facepalm when I saw what exactly he was trying to do versus what I just told him to do.  "//n" for the win?

RobinrobRobinrob

Thanks for the reply.

\\n gives this output:

<gd:recurrence>DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20120101\nDTEND;VALUE=DATE:20120101\nRRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;BYDAY=Tu;UNTIL=20123101</gd:recurrence>

Try the other slash - "/".

Not "\".

-Andy

Wait wait wait - sorry man, you were correct in your logic in your initial post.  The \n character inline does indeed output the CR at least in APEX-land.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the ".addTextNode".  Checking on something...

-Andy

RobinrobRobinrob

You guys posted a few messages there whilst i was writing one as a response to an earlier post :)

By the way, //n gave this output:

<gd:recurrence>DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:2012010//nDTEND;VALUE=DATE:20120101//nRRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;BYDAY=Tu;UNTIL=20123101</gd:recurrence>

AH HA!  "\r\n" is the key.

String text = 'DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20120101\r\nDTEND;VALUE=DATE:20120101\r\nRRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;BYDAY=Tu;UNTIL=20123101';

-Andy

(Debug)

13:25:03.021 (21059000)|USER_DEBUG|[25]|DEBUG|XMLNode[ELEMENT,Body,http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/,null,[common.apex.api.dom.XmlNode$NamespaceDef@51b24da5],[XMLNode[ELEMENT,echo,http://www.myservice.com/services/MyService/,null,[common.apex.api.dom.XmlNode$NamespaceDef@1107b58a],[XMLNode[ELEMENT,category,http://www.myservice.com/services/MyService/,null,[common.apex.api.dom.XmlNode$NamespaceDef@111f7fc2],[XMLNode[TEXT,null,null,null,null,null,classifieds,]],null,]],null,], XMLNode[ELEMENT,gd:recurrence,null,null,null,null,null,], XMLNode[TEXT,null,null,null,null,null,DTSTART;VALUE=DATE:20120101
DTEND;VALUE=DATE:20120101
RRULE:FREQ=WEEKLY;BYDAY=Tu;UNTIL=20123101,]],null,]

RobinrobRobinrob

Thanks a lot for your replies!

'\r\n' does indeed work.

However, i then made a stupid discovery - so does '\n'. I was 'looking' for an error when one wasn't there, simply because i'd been copy-pasting the debug log so many times and the original single line of output went off the screen. When i thought the string had terminated it hadn't, it was just on the next two lines.

Robin