function readOnly(count){ }
Starting November 20, the site will be set to read-only. On December 4, 2023,
forum discussions will move to the Trailblazer Community.
+ Start a Discussion
sonny_clowardsonny_cloward 

Action Plan documentation for other objects?

Is there documentation on how to extend Action Plans to other Objects?

Thanks,

Sonny

Best Answer chosen by Admin (Salesforce Developers) 
Paul.FoxPaul.Fox

A few other places? I just went and set this up for a custom object in our org. For anyone who has a few hours free, here is the list of places that you need to update. Most of them just include copying and pasting existing lines to add a line for your custom object, so I didn't explain in detail what you need to do (plus this took me long enough to do, I didn't want to document). Note: the line numbers obviously change as you edit the code, so make sure to make the changes as you go, and the line numbers should be correct.

Added Lookup field to ActionPlan__c
Create Detail Button on your custom object. Change refType and refId parameter values
Create List Button for your custom object. Change Object Type and oName (first two lines)
Download and Modify JS in Static Resource for ActionPlan_ActionPlanCreationScripts.
    Note for all of these that the Element ID has a letter before Lookup. For example, Opportunity uses oLookup. Make sure to change this letter.
    Add a line to the switchlookup function
    Add a line to hideAllLookups function
    Add a new lookupCustomObject() function
Modify ActionPlanCreation page.
    Modify line 62, add new line 68, edit 72, add new lines 90-93, edit line 102,
Update ActionPlanCreationController
    add else if to referedObjectInit() method
ActionPlansBatchTaskBuilder
    add new lookup field to ActionPlanTemplate query (line 24)
    add new if statement for your custom object (they start at line 100)
ActionPlansTaskTriggerUtilities
    add new lookup field to ActionPlan query on line 69
    add new if statement around 162
ActionPlansUtilities
    add lookup field to query on line 54
    add new if statement around line 140
    add new if statement around line 287
    add new if statement around line 377
    add new if statement around line 400
    add new if statement around line 500
    add new if statement around line 600
Added line to Validation Rule on Action Plan object (note: this error did not show up on visualforce page, had to find it in the debug logs)

All Answers

ReidCReidC

Not yet -- that's something I need to put together.  It does require code and if you poke around in the code you'll see where you need to a) add a field to ActionPlan__c and b) update the Action Plan Batch Task creator so it populates the task WhatId correctly.  That's off the top of my head -- there might be a couple of additional things.

Does that make sense?

brailmbrailm

This application adds a powerful feature to Salesforce.com: user-defined workflow.

I have a couple of processes we want to automate where implementing action plans for Cases would be perfect.

If you don't have time to provide a guide on extending this application to arbitrary objects, would you consider quickly extending it to encompass the Case standard object? It's a curious omission from this initial release.

I'm sure I could get the IT group that is supporting Salesforce.com to figure out how to extend this to include cases, but they are busy fulfilling other requirements for me. 

I agree that this should be standard Salesforce.con functionality.

GeraldineGrayGeraldineGray

Since discovering this app I have implemented it for just about all my clients and next week plan to reveal it to CoreMatrix and suggest we use it as part of our arsenal of tricks internally.

The possibilities of using it for in business for Case Management, Inventory Controls, Audits and Campaigns etc are brilliant but think about how powerful it could be for smaller non-profits with little technical knowledge or support; they can easily create a plan for each donor (by type with templates) and follow through on their actions on a regular/automated basis.

This app is so simple but so fantastic and so easy for people to use. Brilliant.

ReidCReidC

Thanks for the feedback Geraldine!  I'm really glad you find the app useful and hope it helps all of your clients.  If you have any must have features, please let me know -- I'm working on a back log for it as we speak.

ReidCReidC

Hi Bralim -- thanks for the feedback.  I've added case compatibility to the backlog -- I agree that is is potential great win for a lot of users.  Please keep me posted if you have other suggestions.  Unfortunately I can't give you a timeline, but I don't think it will be too long.  (Insert safe harbor here).

Contracts would be another great standard object to have this on.  We are creating a fairly complex approval/workflow process in contracts, but would like action plans to track additional processes.

Thanks Reid!

brailmbrailm

I guess I'll need to throw this in the hopper team to address. I've taken a bit more time to look at the code and it seems that you could make it easier to extend. Pehaps leverage custom settings to make it easier for end users to include standard and custom objects.

Any timeline for release of additional features?

ReidCReidC

It's in process now.  I've seen one cut, expect to have a candidate for security review by Monday / Tuesday.  Might take another week or so to get out after that.  HTH.

Thanks for the update Reid!

Chop, chop, Reid; whatcha been doin' then? Sunbathin'?

brailmbrailm

Great news! Thanks.

ReidCReidC

:robothappy:

Paul.FoxPaul.Fox

A few other places? I just went and set this up for a custom object in our org. For anyone who has a few hours free, here is the list of places that you need to update. Most of them just include copying and pasting existing lines to add a line for your custom object, so I didn't explain in detail what you need to do (plus this took me long enough to do, I didn't want to document). Note: the line numbers obviously change as you edit the code, so make sure to make the changes as you go, and the line numbers should be correct.

Added Lookup field to ActionPlan__c
Create Detail Button on your custom object. Change refType and refId parameter values
Create List Button for your custom object. Change Object Type and oName (first two lines)
Download and Modify JS in Static Resource for ActionPlan_ActionPlanCreationScripts.
    Note for all of these that the Element ID has a letter before Lookup. For example, Opportunity uses oLookup. Make sure to change this letter.
    Add a line to the switchlookup function
    Add a line to hideAllLookups function
    Add a new lookupCustomObject() function
Modify ActionPlanCreation page.
    Modify line 62, add new line 68, edit 72, add new lines 90-93, edit line 102,
Update ActionPlanCreationController
    add else if to referedObjectInit() method
ActionPlansBatchTaskBuilder
    add new lookup field to ActionPlanTemplate query (line 24)
    add new if statement for your custom object (they start at line 100)
ActionPlansTaskTriggerUtilities
    add new lookup field to ActionPlan query on line 69
    add new if statement around 162
ActionPlansUtilities
    add lookup field to query on line 54
    add new if statement around line 140
    add new if statement around line 287
    add new if statement around line 377
    add new if statement around line 400
    add new if statement around line 500
    add new if statement around line 600
Added line to Validation Rule on Action Plan object (note: this error did not show up on visualforce page, had to find it in the debug logs)

This was selected as the best answer
brailmbrailm

Thanks. This is helpful.

ReidCReidC

Paul -- WOW!  That is very helpful.  Thanks for putting all that together.

tlav30tlav30

Reid - have you created any formal documentation yet?  I am not a programmer and I'm having trouble following the instructions Paul Fox posted.  If not, is there anywhere else I can find this?  Thanks!

One of the apps I talked about at Dreamforce was Action Plans - it starts around minute 6 - 

There's an App for That! Improve Your Sales Toolkit with the AppExchange Breakout Session

brailmbrailm

There was a bug in the unmanaged package we downloaded. There were multiple instances of double exclamation points in the merge fields that prevented the parent object functionality from working properly.

ReidCReidC

hm -- can you point me in a direction?

ReidCReidC

Haven't yet -- we have a new version coming up -- should be in the not too distant future.

SilverlineCRMSilverlineCRM

Reid,

We are about to deploy this at a client using the custom objects instructions that Paul Fox mentioned.  Is there anything else we need to be aware of?  Is there a more direct way of reaching out to you if we have questions?  You can email me at kai@silverlinecrm.com

ReidCReidC

It's an unsupported app, so no SLA on response, but you are welcome to post here or on Answers.  If you're working on V3, I have a doc that might help -- will send it toyou directly. You should also note that I've identified a couple of issues in V3 that I'm working through. One is an issue with Dynamic task assignment, another is with single object plan creation buttons.  Stay tuned for more info here and on the blog.

TC at ICTC at IC

Kai or Reid,

We are about to set up action plans on a custom object as well. 

Could you give me an idea of how much time I should allocate to making the code changes, testing and deploying?

Thanks

Tyler

SilverlineCRMSilverlineCRM

TC,

I am not sure of your exact requirements and how much Salesforce expertise you have.  My hours are based on a Certified Salesforce Consultant with Action Plans! experience doing the work.  For basic custom objects, I would say start with 8 hours and go from there.  I hope this helps.

Kai

Trevor GillTrevor Gill
Reid,

I've modified all the Apex classes according to your guide to get Action Plans working for my custom object "Informal Cases". It's all working great except that the tasks that get created are not getting related to the Informal Case record (the task WhatId is not getting populated). I've reviewed all the Apex classes related to task creation 4 or 5 times and can't figure out what could possibly be missing. I know this isn't a lot to go off of, but I'm just wanting to make sure that it is possible to get the Task WhatId populated when using Action Plans from custom objects, and ask if there's something that I might likely be missing.

Thanks,
Trevor
DYooDYoo
Has anyone been able to document the process? We have a custom object that we use to keep all of our data and documents. This is where we want the action plans to populate the tasks. I found some documentation online to apply action plans to a custom object but the directions were like a foreign language to me. https://appexchange.salesforce.com/servlet/servlet.FileDownload?file=00P3000000P3comEAB

And I can't get past step 1 and 2. When I create the list button and detail page button, I keep getting an error: 

"A problem with the OnClick JavaScript for this button or link was encountered: Invalid or Unexpected Token"
Trevor GillTrevor Gill
Yes, I've successfully set up Action Plans for a custom object using the linked documentation (https://appexchange.salesforce.com/servlet/ servlet.FileDownload?file=00P3000000P3comEAB). It took a couple hours to go through and update all the classes, but it did work.
Prakash Rai 7Prakash Rai 7
Hello Action Plans experts,
Has anybody has split testMethods from "ActionPlanCreationController". I pulled out the testMethods into a test class and encounter "Compile Error: Invalid type: ApTaskWrapper" error. Any suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks