• 58 Points
  • Member since 2019

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

I am somehow 7 years into a sales career without every having had to use Salesforce, but now find myself in a position where I need to become proficient. Any recommendations for the best online Salesforce training for a noob? Ideally something on Youtube, but if you've got something you really like from another resource, I'll happily check it out.
Over the last 4 months I have built a substantially decent attempt at a replacement for the Force.com platform (the backend API platform, the metadata layer, and the front-end UI/UX). Small set of screenshots here:
http://imgur.com/a/8MT42
I'm at the point now where it is very usable for a technical user base, and I'm looking for some feedback on how to effectively promote it and grow an initial userbase.
I know I'll never compete with Salesforce (or all of the other CRM vendors) on pure CRM, but given the sheer size of that marketplace and the flexibility of my solution (completely metadata flexible, very rich architecture design options, pure Universal Javascript, etc..).
Also, so as to not bury the biggest feature: It can be database-agnostic (on a per-schema/object basis), which means you don't HAVE to store all of your data in the cloud, you can mix and match some data there with old data in your HR space or Oracle DB, or mix in a few Redis/Cassandra clusters.. It is quite flexible.
So we have newly formed team in our company consisting of users that are across three divisions. They couldn't see data across other divisions so I made a group, added the users and went to sharing settings and created a rule so they can now see all accounts, opportunties (and thus tasks). Great that's that sorted.
The issue is though is some of the users need to be able to edit and reassign tasks that don't belong to them. I don't want them to be able to do it for all tasks but just of a certain record type. How could I do this? It seems you cant create sharing rules for activities/tasks but they just feed off accounts/opps? I also don't want to give permission to edit all accounts and opportunities in our org.
Thanks for any help.

First of all, thank you for your cooperation, right now I'm having problems changing my class to a batch class, the class that I will post below works, it creates a CSV file on "SageExtractFiles__c" entity than it lets you download it if you want to, but when I try to create a CSV with a large chunk of records it throws an error regarding the Limits, that's why I need to change this to a batch class, of course, I will not ask for you to write all the code, but at least some guidelines would be really useful.
I'm a backend developer from Spain with background in Java world like many others Salesforce developers, so first of all sorry for my poor english.
I've been developing for a big consulting firm a custom salesforce portal. It's been an experience on my professional career that I don't want to retry, definetly the CRM closed world is not for me, but even less Salesforce.
I think that Salesforce is a technology that it's hyped and with a wide amount of marketing that won't will be sucessful at long terms. Salesforce is a very limitated platform (which would not be very bad if it would be done well) in a bad way, which not let implement complex solutions easily.
It's a platform that forces you to be integrated with Salesforce partners for certain integrations.
If you're a talented dev with strong technical skills that does not think only in the salary, a dev that want to be using cutting edge technologies and creating solutions well engineered, defenitely my friend Salesforce is not for you as it has not been for me.
What I'm saying is not because I'm freaking out, of course you can read references more elaborated than my post, criticing why Salesforce is not what a passionate technology dev well skilled wants for his career.
We can speak also about the crazy certification path that you've got to follow if you want to be succesful into Salesforce world and which you'll have to take a reexam each of them any some months per year (yeah, the total amount of your certs). You'll have to pay for this certs also, but some companies as mine probably will pay this for you.

It seems to me that our sidebar as a sub is OK, but could use some simple guidance/tips for newbies. To that end, I am hoping we can collectively (as a sub) put together a couple pieces that answer some of the more common posts here: how to pass tests (the SFDC99 link is nice but isn't especially helpful, IMO), and how to think about/plan/start a Salesforce career. Below are my thoughts on starting a career in Salesforce. I am hoping that others can critique this, add their thoughts, tips and impressions and we can turn it into a concise sidebar piece.

What are the best practices for handing off a closed won opportunity from the Account Executive to the Account Manager? Right now when we win an opportunity, the rep fills in as much info as possible about the deal for the AM, but many times this info isn't fully complete, because not all the information is available yet. I was wondering what others are doing for handoffs. Maybe create a custom object? A case? Let me know. Cheers.

I'm investigating how to integrate an online store with salesforce.
I'm wondering, best practices, where the data should reside in salesforce.
Once an order is placed in the online store, how is it represented. Would it create a closed opportunity with opportunity products as the line items?
Perhaps a separate Received payment object (custom?) in case of multiple/partial payments (not sure this is a requirement)
I noticed there is an standard order object that can be activated. Is this the area I should be investigating.

I'd love some insight into the overall object model, preferably using as much standard salesforce as is available.
Further down the road donations, and other form based 'sales' would also need to be tracked, some including $0 items if that matters.

Basically if you had a green field how would you proceed.
So I’m about to dive in properly to developing and i’m unsure which language to learn Java, Javascript or both? I don’t have any programming experience only declarative things such as Processes, Flow etc.
I want to be a front end developer and eventually be able to take skills outside of the Salesforce platform to create things like on the side such as websites, chrome extensions and mobile apps.
I always thought Java was necessary to become a good Apex developer, but with LWC is that still the case and could I focus on Javascript instead?
Thanks!
So I'm looking at job ads in my area and there's a good amount of demand for salesforce developers.
But... what is a salesforce developer exactly?
I know that salesforce is a software company that provides CRM software to businesses... but what does a salesforce developer do in a company that is not Salesforce itself?

I've been helping my dad's company look for a sales tracking application. They do sales internationally, and want a stable, reliable system. It seems like Salesforce is the way to go. Anyone has experience using Salesforce? What do you like about it, what do you hate about it? Any alternatives?
Hello all,
I apologize if this is not the place to ask but I do need your help.
I have come to a point in my career where I need to learn Salesforce. I was doing email campaigns for a living but i am finding it difficult to land a job in this field again. I was told I would need to learn salesforce to be more marketable in my field.
Where is the best place to learn Saleforce? is there somewhere online that you recommend? or in a school setting?
Please help me get on the right path.
Thank you!

How does everyone feel about being a developer in the Salesforce stack? I am about to graduate from University and head to a company where my team will be working exclusively with Salesforce and I am not sure exactly what to make of that fact.

Guys I have joined a startup coming which is asking me to learn Salesforce and start working on it. As I have learned Java and have also worked in a small firm for 1 year on Java. Now should I start learning Salesforce or look for other job in Java. Is learning Salesforce worth for long run or should I get expertise in java
Hi!
I registered with trailhead.
I’m an SDR looking to expand my Salesforce skill set. Let’s pretend I have none. Particularly looking for the basics around reporting, and any other trails that may be beneficial to spend some time with.
My goal is to have a competent understanding of SF to build my sales as I enter a closing role and the relevant tools in SF that will help me gain an advantage.
Thanks in advance!

So I convinced my executive team to triple the annual spend for CRM from what they had to move to salesforce.... no small task. The problem is I’m trying to find a way to do a CSAT survey on case close without added cost... in the sales process I expressed this several times and thought it would be included but I probably didn’t do enough due-diligence. At any rate, has anyone done this successfully on their own without having to buy an add-on?
I've been learning SF over the last few weeks as a hobby. Specifically, I'm using NPSP and quite a few campaigns, representing yearly activities.
What I'd like to do is run a report of my contacts that shows their participation rate in these annual events. E.g. the columns of the report would be the different campaigns so if I read across for each contact, I could see which campaigns each person participated in.
Is something like this possible? I found a report that gives me all the detail, but one line per person per campaign. That's not as convenient for finding trend data easily.
A secondary question/option would be: I listed each campaign under a parent campaign. Is there a way to show the number or percentage of child campaigns a contact participated in?

Hi Everyone!

The company I work for uses SalesForce, Financial Force, ans PSA and within the accounting department we are looking into implementing Robotic Process Automation for some of our less value-added processes. Have any of you had any experience with implementing RPA with SF/FF/PSA? Right now, we're looking into BluePrism and UIPath, but I was hoping to see if anyone had specific experience with SalesForce.

I'd be grateful for any recommendations or resources you could point me to. Like I said we're in the very beginning stages of researching this, so any help is appreciated.
Hi!
I registered with trailhead.
I’m an SDR looking to expand my Salesforce skill set. Let’s pretend I have none. Particularly looking for the basics around reporting, and any other trails that may be beneficial to spend some time with.
My goal is to have a competent understanding of SF to build my sales as I enter a closing role and the relevant tools in SF that will help me gain an advantage.
Thanks in advance!

I am somehow 7 years into a sales career without every having had to use Salesforce, but now find myself in a position where I need to become proficient. Any recommendations for the best online Salesforce training for a noob? Ideally something on Youtube, but if you've got something you really like from another resource, I'll happily check it out.
Over the last 4 months I have built a substantially decent attempt at a replacement for the Force.com platform (the backend API platform, the metadata layer, and the front-end UI/UX). Small set of screenshots here:
http://imgur.com/a/8MT42
I'm at the point now where it is very usable for a technical user base, and I'm looking for some feedback on how to effectively promote it and grow an initial userbase.
I know I'll never compete with Salesforce (or all of the other CRM vendors) on pure CRM, but given the sheer size of that marketplace and the flexibility of my solution (completely metadata flexible, very rich architecture design options, pure Universal Javascript, etc..).
Also, so as to not bury the biggest feature: It can be database-agnostic (on a per-schema/object basis), which means you don't HAVE to store all of your data in the cloud, you can mix and match some data there with old data in your HR space or Oracle DB, or mix in a few Redis/Cassandra clusters.. It is quite flexible.
So we have newly formed team in our company consisting of users that are across three divisions. They couldn't see data across other divisions so I made a group, added the users and went to sharing settings and created a rule so they can now see all accounts, opportunties (and thus tasks). Great that's that sorted.
The issue is though is some of the users need to be able to edit and reassign tasks that don't belong to them. I don't want them to be able to do it for all tasks but just of a certain record type. How could I do this? It seems you cant create sharing rules for activities/tasks but they just feed off accounts/opps? I also don't want to give permission to edit all accounts and opportunities in our org.
Thanks for any help.

First of all, thank you for your cooperation, right now I'm having problems changing my class to a batch class, the class that I will post below works, it creates a CSV file on "SageExtractFiles__c" entity than it lets you download it if you want to, but when I try to create a CSV with a large chunk of records it throws an error regarding the Limits, that's why I need to change this to a batch class, of course, I will not ask for you to write all the code, but at least some guidelines would be really useful.
I'm a backend developer from Spain with background in Java world like many others Salesforce developers, so first of all sorry for my poor english.
I've been developing for a big consulting firm a custom salesforce portal. It's been an experience on my professional career that I don't want to retry, definetly the CRM closed world is not for me, but even less Salesforce.
I think that Salesforce is a technology that it's hyped and with a wide amount of marketing that won't will be sucessful at long terms. Salesforce is a very limitated platform (which would not be very bad if it would be done well) in a bad way, which not let implement complex solutions easily.
It's a platform that forces you to be integrated with Salesforce partners for certain integrations.
If you're a talented dev with strong technical skills that does not think only in the salary, a dev that want to be using cutting edge technologies and creating solutions well engineered, defenitely my friend Salesforce is not for you as it has not been for me.
What I'm saying is not because I'm freaking out, of course you can read references more elaborated than my post, criticing why Salesforce is not what a passionate technology dev well skilled wants for his career.
We can speak also about the crazy certification path that you've got to follow if you want to be succesful into Salesforce world and which you'll have to take a reexam each of them any some months per year (yeah, the total amount of your certs). You'll have to pay for this certs also, but some companies as mine probably will pay this for you.

It seems to me that our sidebar as a sub is OK, but could use some simple guidance/tips for newbies. To that end, I am hoping we can collectively (as a sub) put together a couple pieces that answer some of the more common posts here: how to pass tests (the SFDC99 link is nice but isn't especially helpful, IMO), and how to think about/plan/start a Salesforce career. Below are my thoughts on starting a career in Salesforce. I am hoping that others can critique this, add their thoughts, tips and impressions and we can turn it into a concise sidebar piece.

What are the best practices for handing off a closed won opportunity from the Account Executive to the Account Manager? Right now when we win an opportunity, the rep fills in as much info as possible about the deal for the AM, but many times this info isn't fully complete, because not all the information is available yet. I was wondering what others are doing for handoffs. Maybe create a custom object? A case? Let me know. Cheers.

I'm investigating how to integrate an online store with salesforce.
I'm wondering, best practices, where the data should reside in salesforce.
Once an order is placed in the online store, how is it represented. Would it create a closed opportunity with opportunity products as the line items?
Perhaps a separate Received payment object (custom?) in case of multiple/partial payments (not sure this is a requirement)
I noticed there is an standard order object that can be activated. Is this the area I should be investigating.

I'd love some insight into the overall object model, preferably using as much standard salesforce as is available.
Further down the road donations, and other form based 'sales' would also need to be tracked, some including $0 items if that matters.

Basically if you had a green field how would you proceed.
So I’m about to dive in properly to developing and i’m unsure which language to learn Java, Javascript or both? I don’t have any programming experience only declarative things such as Processes, Flow etc.
I want to be a front end developer and eventually be able to take skills outside of the Salesforce platform to create things like on the side such as websites, chrome extensions and mobile apps.
I always thought Java was necessary to become a good Apex developer, but with LWC is that still the case and could I focus on Javascript instead?
Thanks!
So I'm looking at job ads in my area and there's a good amount of demand for salesforce developers.
But... what is a salesforce developer exactly?
I know that salesforce is a software company that provides CRM software to businesses... but what does a salesforce developer do in a company that is not Salesforce itself?

I've been helping my dad's company look for a sales tracking application. They do sales internationally, and want a stable, reliable system. It seems like Salesforce is the way to go. Anyone has experience using Salesforce? What do you like about it, what do you hate about it? Any alternatives?
Hello all,
I apologize if this is not the place to ask but I do need your help.
I have come to a point in my career where I need to learn Salesforce. I was doing email campaigns for a living but i am finding it difficult to land a job in this field again. I was told I would need to learn salesforce to be more marketable in my field.
Where is the best place to learn Saleforce? is there somewhere online that you recommend? or in a school setting?
Please help me get on the right path.
Thank you!

How does everyone feel about being a developer in the Salesforce stack? I am about to graduate from University and head to a company where my team will be working exclusively with Salesforce and I am not sure exactly what to make of that fact.

Guys I have joined a startup coming which is asking me to learn Salesforce and start working on it. As I have learned Java and have also worked in a small firm for 1 year on Java. Now should I start learning Salesforce or look for other job in Java. Is learning Salesforce worth for long run or should I get expertise in java

So I convinced my executive team to triple the annual spend for CRM from what they had to move to salesforce.... no small task. The problem is I’m trying to find a way to do a CSAT survey on case close without added cost... in the sales process I expressed this several times and thought it would be included but I probably didn’t do enough due-diligence. At any rate, has anyone done this successfully on their own without having to buy an add-on?
I've been learning SF over the last few weeks as a hobby. Specifically, I'm using NPSP and quite a few campaigns, representing yearly activities.
What I'd like to do is run a report of my contacts that shows their participation rate in these annual events. E.g. the columns of the report would be the different campaigns so if I read across for each contact, I could see which campaigns each person participated in.
Is something like this possible? I found a report that gives me all the detail, but one line per person per campaign. That's not as convenient for finding trend data easily.
A secondary question/option would be: I listed each campaign under a parent campaign. Is there a way to show the number or percentage of child campaigns a contact participated in?

Hi Everyone!

The company I work for uses SalesForce, Financial Force, ans PSA and within the accounting department we are looking into implementing Robotic Process Automation for some of our less value-added processes. Have any of you had any experience with implementing RPA with SF/FF/PSA? Right now, we're looking into BluePrism and UIPath, but I was hoping to see if anyone had specific experience with SalesForce.

I'd be grateful for any recommendations or resources you could point me to. Like I said we're in the very beginning stages of researching this, so any help is appreciated.
How can i make a mass Delete of orders?

The error is that i can't delete an active order, that's ok.

So the question is how can i deactivate multiple orders?
I tryed to change status like Status='a deactivated category status' but it doesn't work.

Thanks all

The WSDL generated for an Apex Class method using the webservice keyword may be missing required complex types.

Take the example:
global class RetrieveOpportunity {
  webservice static Opportunity retrieveOpportunity(Id opportunityId) {
    return new Opportunity();
  }
}

This will generate a WSDL with elements like:

<xsd:element name="BillingAddress" minOccurs="0" type="tns:address" nillable="true"/>

The issue is that there is no address complex type in the WSDL tns namespace (http://soap.sforce.com/schemas/class/DFB/RetrieveOpportunity in this case).

This results in errors like:
Error: type 'address@http://soap.sforce.com/schemas/class/RetrieveOpportunity' not found.
Source - WSDL generated from apex can't import to SoapUI (http://salesforce.stackexchange.com/q/56005/102)
and
Error 1 Unable to import binding 'getLeadInfoBinding' from namespace 'http://soap.sforce.com/schemas/class/getLeadInfo'. App_WebReferences/WebReference/

Source - Issue with Adding reference Webservice WSDL to VS2010 (http://salesforce.stackexchange.com/q/53329/102)

The currently solution is to manually add the missing complex types to the xsd:schema with the required targetNamespace.

<!-- Compound datatype: Address -->
        <complexType name="address">
            <complexContent>
                <extension base="tns:location">
                    <sequence>
                        <element name="city" type="xsd:string"  nillable="true" />
                        <element name="country" type="xsd:string"  nillable="true" />
                        <element name="countryCode" type="xsd:string"  nillable="true" />
                        <element name="postalCode" type="xsd:string"  nillable="true" />
                        <element name="state" type="xsd:string"  nillable="true" />
                        <element name="stateCode" type="xsd:string"  nillable="true" />
                        <element name="street" type="xsd:string"  nillable="true" />
                    </sequence>
                </extension>
            </complexContent>
        </complexType>

<!-- Compound datatype: Location -->
        <complexType name="location">
            <sequence>
                <element name="latitude" type="xsd:double"  nillable="true" />
                <element name="longitude" type="xsd:double"  nillable="true" />
            </sequence>
        </complexType>

Can this be raised as an Apex API bug?