• 25 Points
  • Member since 2009

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

I understand the purpose of the governor limits.  I understand some of the limits themselves, such as heap size.  I do not understand many of them.  One I do not understand is a limit of 1000 for a List. It appears to be an indirect memory limit, which is a duplicate effort since there is already a heap limit, and counterintuitive since one element can be as small as an Integer or as large as a complex blob containing object. 

THE QUESTION:  If I need to insert 1600 rows, does this actually mean I have to create two lists, one with 1000 and another with 600 rows, which I then have to execute as two inserts?  Am I understanding this correctly?!?

Is there an open source project for converting XML to inserts/updates to data in SFDC? 

I've worked on a Java component that does this through Force.com WS, and am now helping a project that did the same with .NET.  But, I think it would be a real step forward to put the data transformation and business logic in Apex and just allow the other tools to send the XML and CSV data to it via a web service call or email.  

This would have real advantages in global enterprises that tend to have multiple SFDC instances as well as multiple divisions sharing an instance, as it would permit custom data transformations and trigger logic to be housed and maintained with the data, which itself is custom in both model as well as data use and business process.  

This could be packaged with App Exchange or Code Share to permit high reuse.  

Does such a project exist, yet?  If not, is anyone interested in joining one?

I understand the purpose of the governor limits.  I understand some of the limits themselves, such as heap size.  I do not understand many of them.  One I do not understand is a limit of 1000 for a List. It appears to be an indirect memory limit, which is a duplicate effort since there is already a heap limit, and counterintuitive since one element can be as small as an Integer or as large as a complex blob containing object. 

THE QUESTION:  If I need to insert 1600 rows, does this actually mean I have to create two lists, one with 1000 and another with 600 rows, which I then have to execute as two inserts?  Am I understanding this correctly?!?

Is there an open source project for converting XML to inserts/updates to data in SFDC? 

I've worked on a Java component that does this through Force.com WS, and am now helping a project that did the same with .NET.  But, I think it would be a real step forward to put the data transformation and business logic in Apex and just allow the other tools to send the XML and CSV data to it via a web service call or email.  

This would have real advantages in global enterprises that tend to have multiple SFDC instances as well as multiple divisions sharing an instance, as it would permit custom data transformations and trigger logic to be housed and maintained with the data, which itself is custom in both model as well as data use and business process.  

This could be packaged with App Exchange or Code Share to permit high reuse.  

Does such a project exist, yet?  If not, is anyone interested in joining one?