• 5 Points
  • Member since 2011

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Anyone using translations workbench. We are looking to use it to manage translations for some of the contact fields such as status, picklists, multi-select picklists and have some specific questions.

e.g. Are there any limitations in terms of the number of translations that can be stored in workbench

Is it possible to get the translated picklist available (not selected) values using REST API?

Is it posssible to get translations for multiple languages in one single session?

We arer looking to have multiple custom apps co-exist in one Salesforce Org. We are not using Salesforce for typical CRM deployment - it is all custom and the apps are using Salesforce more as a database in the cloud.We are not using leads, opportunities, etc and the only standard objects that we are looking to use are Account and Contact.

Both these apps have their own contacts (which may or may not over lap and at this point the business owners of these two apps do not care)

I understand that we can use record-types, field-level security etc to segment contacts records for one app from another.

However, if we were to create custom object to store the contact objects, what is the downside? I understand what we lose is the relationships that contact object has with accounts, leads, opportunities, etc. What else do we lose?

Are there utlility calls in REST API for

1. GetUserInfo

2. Get ServerTimeStamp

etc.

Hi,

How can I retrieve translated field values in SOQL Query.

e.g. If I were to translated industry (multi-select picklist), status (picklist) in Account object using translation workbench so that each of the values have translated labels in German, French as well.

Few questtions.

1. How do I retrieve the translated values for the picklist values? Looks like it depends on the languages of the application from where the query is being fired. Can I specify the language in the query?

2. How can I specify the translated values in SOQL for each?

3. Does SOSQL indexes translated values.

Thanks,

-Naveen

Hi,

We are building a website (not force.com) but would like to use SalesForce as a repository of User information (including password if possible).

Questions are.

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using Salesforce for authentication versus using LDAP for authentication?

- Licensing, Cost implications

- Development/integration implications.

2. I checked out Salesforce Customer Portal and found that as soon as I enable a contact for Portal, a corresponding user account is created for the contact. I do not remember, but believe that I read somewhere when Service Cloud is enabled for a contactm then user account is not created.

Looking for thoughts and perspectives from people who have been through these issues before.

Thanks,

-Naveen

I have this very simple class that I am trying to create and am getting compilation error.

Can someone help resolve this?

Error: Compile Error: Invalid class: restrequest at line 6 column 32 

/* test*/
@RestResource(urlMapping='/Account/*')
global with sharing class AccountRestSvc {

@HttpGet
  global static Account doGet (RestRequest req, RestResponse res) {
    return [select id, name from account limit 1];  
  }

}

I have this very simple class that I am trying to create and am getting compilation error.

/* test*/

@HttpGet
  }

}

We are looking to keep in-house Oracle Database and SF database in sync on almost real-time basic or with maximum lag of 30 min. The databases are small (7 tables) with may be max 100,000 records each. Total size about 30MB.

1. Initially it is going to be one way sync such that there are no updates to SF database that are made directly and changes to Oracle will be replicated to SF database.

2. Soon, we might want to have other way sync, where updates can be made only to SF database and Oracle database will need to be in sync with SF database.

Any suggestions for tools that are provided from SF or any of their partners to do this.

Thanks,

-Naveen

I am looking for some guidance when replacing custom SOAP Web Services with SF SOAP Web Services.

Background

We are looking to consider moving one of our database applications from in-house Oracle Database to SalesForce for various reasons. I would not go in those reasons here.

We have created custom objects in SF that maps to Oracle Database and are considering SF partner solution for moving/syncing SF database with Oracle.

There are already a bunch of Java applications that are integrating with the Oracle database using Web Services (Just 5). We are looking to replicate these Web Services in Salesforce with the identical signature so that these applications can run with minimal impact due to this change.

Guidance

SF has limit of 10 queries that a user can execute concurrently. Moreover, if multiple users are signing in they share the same session. Therefore, looks like we will need to write a Web Services connection wrapper - so that Client Apps connects to Salesforce - they arre connecting using different user-ids that is tied to client app sessions. Is this the right approach?

Is there anything else that would help so that there is minimal impact to Client applications? Any alternatives?

Thanks,

-Naveen

We have a custom object that has a description field of type "text".

Requirement is to manage translations of the value of the description field.

Only options that comes to my mind are

Option 1

- Create a new custom object with may be master-detail relationship, to track the translations of the field values. Pros - new translations can be added without any issue.

Option 2

- Create new custom fields for each of the languages that the original value needs to be translated in. Basically add description_fr, description_sp fields. Obviously, the downside of this approach is that if there is new language tomorrow then it will require schema change.

Question

1. Does Salesforce provides out-of-box way to manage translations? Translation Bench seems to work with UI elements and not with values.

2. Are there any other options?

Thanks

We are working on moving our user profile information to Salesforce.

While designing Salesforce Schema, we would like to understand the pros and cons of the two approaches below.

Option 1 - Extend Salesforce Standard Account/Contact object by adding custom fields.

Option 2 - Create new custom objects to capture additional information for Account/Contact and then create master/detail relationship with Account/Contact.

What are the pros and cons of the approach from data management point of view?

I do see that Option 1 is easier as we can use standard interface to manage the UI without any customization. With Option  2 - we would need to some customization so that admin users see all the user information in one place.

Any other pros/cons.

Thanks,

-Naveen

Hi,

How can I retrieve translated field values in SOQL Query.

e.g. If I were to translated industry (multi-select picklist), status (picklist) in Account object using translation workbench so that each of the values have translated labels in German, French as well.

Few questtions.

1. How do I retrieve the translated values for the picklist values? Looks like it depends on the languages of the application from where the query is being fired. Can I specify the language in the query?

2. How can I specify the translated values in SOQL for each?

3. Does SOSQL indexes translated values.

Thanks,

-Naveen

Hi,

We are building a website (not force.com) but would like to use SalesForce as a repository of User information (including password if possible).

Questions are.

1. What are the advantages and disadvantages of using Salesforce for authentication versus using LDAP for authentication?

- Licensing, Cost implications

- Development/integration implications.

2. I checked out Salesforce Customer Portal and found that as soon as I enable a contact for Portal, a corresponding user account is created for the contact. I do not remember, but believe that I read somewhere when Service Cloud is enabled for a contactm then user account is not created.

Looking for thoughts and perspectives from people who have been through these issues before.

Thanks,

-Naveen

/* test*/

@HttpGet
  }

}

/* test*/

@HttpGet
  }

}

We have a custom object that has a description field of type "text".

Requirement is to manage translations of the value of the description field.

Only options that comes to my mind are

Option 1

- Create a new custom object with may be master-detail relationship, to track the translations of the field values. Pros - new translations can be added without any issue.

Option 2

- Create new custom fields for each of the languages that the original value needs to be translated in. Basically add description_fr, description_sp fields. Obviously, the downside of this approach is that if there is new language tomorrow then it will require schema change.

Question

1. Does Salesforce provides out-of-box way to manage translations? Translation Bench seems to work with UI elements and not with values.

2. Are there any other options?

Thanks