• Member since 2013

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Alright,

So, up to this point, I see how junction objects work similarly to a key/pairing tables in a database.  Both facilitate INNER joins allowing you the option of creating many one-to-one relationships.  The issue that I am having, however, is that I do not want these junction objects to be visible, and I want to provide an easier way for my users to create relationships without interacting with a 3rd object.

Is this possible?  Similar to how you can add many contacts to a single task if "Shared Activities" is enabled, can I create many-to-many objects with a veiled junction object?

If this IS possible, it's not very well documented.  It also raises the question of:  how is the user to establish this relationship, or is it expected that some kind of trigger is working behind the scenes to create the junction record?

I'm all very confused.  It just seems so much simpler to code this using SQL and PHP, Java, Python, C#, etc.

I am currently creating many-to-many relationships through the use of a junction object, but I would like to modify the name of the relationship depending on which page layout the user views it in.

For example,

If I have accounts, and I want to link cases to them in a many-to-many fashion, I create the junction object with the two master-detail lists.  I then want to name this object the same name as one of the relationships, i.e. a case or account name, and display whichever is the opposite of the record that the user navigated from.

To this effect, if the user navigates to the Accounts page and views the junction objects attached to the account their names would correspond to each case that has been related to that account.

Conversely, if the user is viewing the junction object from the Cases page, the various junction objects that are attached to that case will take on the name of the Accounts in the relationship.

Is this possible?

Sorry in advance for the newbie question but, I am mystified as to how I should approach the following.  I am coming from humble beginnings as an Excel/Access developer, and my approach would simply be to create a custom field that is table-driven.  I might be over-thinking it, but I cannot figure out how to translate this into the SF environment.

Assume that I have created a custom form and a single database table with employee names and their corresponding ID numbers.  On the custom form, I would like to create a drop-down which references the employee names in this table.  Thus, any updates I make to the table are automatically captured in the form.  Then, when the employee's name is selected, I would like to populate an adjacent locked field with the corresponding employee ID.

First, I assume that I create a custom object and associated page layout for my form.  But, where do I store the raw data table, and where am I required to program the logic that populates the drop-down-dependent field?

Sorry guys, I'm hoping that once I get over this hurdle things will start to fall into place.