• 0 Points
  • Member since 2013

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies

Congrats to Upshot, but they totally didn't follow the official rules of the Hackathon. 

This was in the official rules:

"The application you or your team submits must: 
• have been developed solely as part of this Hackathon"

Here is "Upshot" being presented well before the Hackathon was even announced: 
http://www.meetup.com/Salesforce-com-Integration-Analytics/events/136920332/

Quite a farce.

• November 22, 2013
Hi,
I've been through the Force.com introductory documents, familiarizing myself with the Force.com platform, and watched the MobileSDK webcast. But I had some basic high-level questions about how mobile apps run and interact with the Force.com platform, that weren't answered in the documentation that I've read so far.

Specifically:

- when you create an app on Force.com, that's usually for within the organization you belong to. So how do you make a "global" app that can be distributed to any salesforce customer, no matter which org they belong to? Ideally, it would be distributed through the App Store and/or AppExchange. From the tutorial, it seems like a mobile app is created under "Connected Apps", and not the regular "Apps" section. Does the Connected App default to acting as a "Global" app?

- Can you do everything with fields, objects etc when configuring a mobile app that you can while configuring a regular app? 

- I saw how Force.com apps can add custom objects and fields, and those can be used to drive the display from the salesforce.com portal. How does a mobile app that is "global" also install those custom objects and fields within your individual org's portal? For e.g. suppose I have a task-management mobile app, with a "Task" entity defined. If the user installs this app and logs in with his/her salesforce account, does the "Task" entity show up in their portal? 

- would a user of the app have to first install the app through App Exchange or some other mechanism before they can use the mobile app from the App Store? Or do they just login to the app the first time and the backend is setup for them?

- when a user connects to the salesforce database using the mobile app, are all the roles and user privileges also attached to that data? For e.g. it would be able to distinguish between a Manager logging in as opposed to a Worker logging in?

- how is this priced from an app-developer perspective? I haven't seen any pricing information for using Force.com to develop mobile apps.

Thanks.

• November 08, 2013

Congrats to Upshot, but they totally didn't follow the official rules of the Hackathon. 

This was in the official rules:

"The application you or your team submits must: 
• have been developed solely as part of this Hackathon"

Here is "Upshot" being presented well before the Hackathon was even announced: 
http://www.meetup.com/Salesforce-com-Integration-Analytics/events/136920332/

Quite a farce.

• November 22, 2013

We are considering entering the hackathon, but the below criteria provides for some interesting grey areas: 

The application you or your team submits must...
...have been developed solely as part of this Hackathon 

For example:

• Can we re-use code we have written for another related product?
  • I know we can use open-source libraries and APIs, but what about an API to our own pre-existing product?
  • What if we were want to modify an existing project to be an entrant into this Salesforce contest?
  • Lastly, what if someone had the idea or started tinkering with it a year ago, but now wants to finish it in the hackathon?

Sorry for the baragge of questions...the word "solely" is just so absolute. Most people who are entering this have probably done some work on their idea apart fro this hackathon.  My question is how much "prior work" or "non-hackathon" work is acceptable?

ps – This is a continuation of a comment thread here – I thought it warranted its own thread after considering it further.

Hi,
I've been through the Force.com introductory documents, familiarizing myself with the Force.com platform, and watched the MobileSDK webcast. But I had some basic high-level questions about how mobile apps run and interact with the Force.com platform, that weren't answered in the documentation that I've read so far.

Specifically:

- when you create an app on Force.com, that's usually for within the organization you belong to. So how do you make a "global" app that can be distributed to any salesforce customer, no matter which org they belong to? Ideally, it would be distributed through the App Store and/or AppExchange. From the tutorial, it seems like a mobile app is created under "Connected Apps", and not the regular "Apps" section. Does the Connected App default to acting as a "Global" app?

- Can you do everything with fields, objects etc when configuring a mobile app that you can while configuring a regular app? 

- I saw how Force.com apps can add custom objects and fields, and those can be used to drive the display from the salesforce.com portal. How does a mobile app that is "global" also install those custom objects and fields within your individual org's portal? For e.g. suppose I have a task-management mobile app, with a "Task" entity defined. If the user installs this app and logs in with his/her salesforce account, does the "Task" entity show up in their portal? 

- would a user of the app have to first install the app through App Exchange or some other mechanism before they can use the mobile app from the App Store? Or do they just login to the app the first time and the backend is setup for them?

- when a user connects to the salesforce database using the mobile app, are all the roles and user privileges also attached to that data? For e.g. it would be able to distinguish between a Manager logging in as opposed to a Worker logging in?

- how is this priced from an app-developer perspective? I haven't seen any pricing information for using Force.com to develop mobile apps.

Thanks.

• November 08, 2013