• Member since 2006

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
Hi,

I've been dealing with support who have been very helpful but am in a bit of a jam - heres the situation:

I received duplicate records while doing an upsert. I now have 4000+ duplicates. More than I can manually merge by hand.

Heres how it happened. I wanted to use the nice new upsert feature to eliminate the possibility of duplicates in the future - something that has long plagued us. I found that I had to add an external id - so i did.

What i didnt expect is that all data entered before the addition of the external id is not recognized by upsert. therefore any updates to those records - we have tens of thousands - will result in a duplicate record being created.

So here are two questions for the board:

1. how do i mass-update the old records so that they will appear to unsert?
2. how do i get rid of 4000+ duplicate records that may now have call history in them?

TIA!
  • September 07, 2006
Hi,

I've been dealing with support who have been very helpful but am in a bit of a jam - heres the situation:

I received duplicate records while doing an upsert. I now have 4000+ duplicates. More than I can manually merge by hand.

Heres how it happened. I wanted to use the nice new upsert feature to eliminate the possibility of duplicates in the future - something that has long plagued us. I found that I had to add an external id - so i did.

What i didnt expect is that all data entered before the addition of the external id is not recognized by upsert. therefore any updates to those records - we have tens of thousands - will result in a duplicate record being created.

So here are two questions for the board:

1. how do i mass-update the old records so that they will appear to unsert?
2. how do i get rid of 4000+ duplicate records that may now have call history in them?

TIA!
  • September 07, 2006
Has anyone seen this before?  We are using an External ID field to bind account records between two systems and use the Upsert API call.  We have found a couple of instances where an Account record is created twice, using the same External ID value.  I thought this was not possible when using the External ID field in conjunction with Upsert.

Any ideas?