• 55 Points
  • Member since 2011

• Chatter
    Feed
    Best Answers
    Likes Given
    Questions
    Replies
We have built a working prototype for our marketing integration platform on force.com and it's currently running as a partner portal (clients are using partner portal seats for access.) If you're really interested, you can see a YouTube video of the platform at http://bit.ly/16aCdnb, but it's not necessary to watch the video to understand our questions.

It's time for us to make the move towards figuring out how best to build out our franken-app into a real commercial application, but we have SO MANY questions about how to proceed. We are completely bootstrapped, and are not looking to take on money or investors at this point. We have paying clients and are profitable. We have over 25 years of very relevant marketing experience, and have been running ad agencies for most of that time, so we're very familiar with the agency model and it's associated markups, so we're trying to avoid just handing the entire thing over to a dev shop until we are at least better informed about how to make that decision. For background, I've been a Salesforce admin since 2007, and have been teaching myself APEX, Java, javascript and Visualforce in order to build out the platform over the past three years, so I've done my homework, but now need expert advice. And this is all above board, no scamming or screen-scraping so if we're doing something wrong I want to know. We would prefer to work with the discussion forum to get some general direction, including how to select the right CTO (and whether that's even who we need).

So to just get this started, here are some of our questions:

1. We need to access data from a wide variety of other platforms, via licensed or free APIs. When allowed, do we want to copy that data off to our own servers so that we don't have to call for it each time, or do we avoid the expense and hassle of copying it and rely instead real-time API calls? Sounds basic, but i haven't been able to find an answer I'm comfortable with yet.

2. I assume the data that we do house should be on an external server, like S3, rather than salesforce, but need to understand the implications of integrating yet another system.

3. We currently import most client data via .csv exports from the source and then manually upload to our platform. This has allowed us to test and improve our data model and our workflows. I've been trying for a year to teach myself how to do all the coding necessary to use APIs but it's not happening yet. There are a couple APIs, such as Google Analytics, that would be great to have NOW, but I dont' want to waste money paying to have them built for the prototype if that's unwise. How do I estimate how much it should cost to build out a straightforward API such as GA with limited fields? Can we use the cookbook or app exchange API code for things like GA and Facebook as starting points and save time and money on development, or should we expect developers to want to write their own code from scratch even if there are examples already published?

4. HOW can we get anyone at Salesforce to care??? Partner team and ISV couldn't care less about responding to us. We have a million more, but this is enough to give an idea of what we need and for people to weigh in with suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your support!

Michael

A custom object, Data with three custom fields, Baseline, Change, and Proj

I'm trying to write:   If (change = blank, proj = baseline , else proj  = baseline + (baseline * change)

Here's my code but it's not working and I could use some help correcting it:

public class ROI_Calc{
    public static Integer calculateROI (data__c.lifetime_orders_projected__c v) {
        if (lifetime_order_value_change_proj__c == '') {
            v = lifetime_order_value_baseline__c; }
           {v = lifetime_order_value_baseline__c * lifetime_order_value_change_proj__c + lifetime_order_value_baseline__c;
           } 
    }
}

I'm trying to adapt some code from Jeff Douglass that I know works, but my changes break it.  For starters, I get the error "Unknown Constructor 'PricebookEntry.PricebookEntry()'" and I can't even find where this refers to.  Any help appreciated, thank you.

<apex:page controller="PricebookEntry" sidebar="false">

<apex:form >
  <apex:pageMessages id="errors" />

<apex:pageBlock title="Find A Product" mode="edit">

<table width="100%" border="0">
  <tr>  
    <td width="200" valign="top">

<apex:pageBlock title="Parameters" mode="edit" id="criteria">

<script type="text/javascript">
      function doSearch() {
        searchServer(
          document.getElementById("product2ID").value,
          document.getElementById("Name").value,
          document.getElementById("description").value,
          document.getElementById("unitprice").value
          );
      }
      </script> 

<apex:actionFunction name="searchServer" action="{!runSearch}" rerender="results,debug,errors">
          <apex:param name="Product2ID" value="" />
          <apex:param name="Name" value="" />
          <apex:param name="description" value="" />
          <apex:param name="unitprice" value="" />
      </apex:actionFunction>

<table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2">
      <tr>
        <td style="font-weight:bold;">Name<br/>
        <input type="text" id="Name" onkeyup="doSearch();"/>
        </td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
        <td style="font-weight:bold;">Description<br/>
        <input type="text" id="description" onkeyup="doSearch();"/>
        </td>
      </tr>
          <tr>
          <td style="font-weight:bold;">product2ID<br/>
          <input type="text" id="Product2ID" onkeyup="doSearch();"/>
          </td>
          </tr>

</table>

</apex:pageBlock>

</td>
    <td valign="top">

<apex:pageBlock mode="edit" id="results">

<apex:pageBlockTable value="{!name}" var="product">

<apex:column >
                <apex:facet name="header">
                    <apex:commandLink value="Name" action="{!toggleSort}" rerender="results,debug">
                        <apex:param name="sortField" value="Name" assignTo="{!sortField}"/>
                    </apex:commandLink>
                </apex:facet>
                <apex:outputField value="{!Name}"/>
            </apex:column>

<apex:commandLink value="Description" action="{!toggleSort}" rerender="results,debug">
                        <apex:param name="sortField" value="Description" assignTo="{!sortField}"/>
                <apex:outputField value="{!Description}"/>

<apex:commandLink value="Product2ID" action="{!toggleSort}" rerender="results,debug">
                    // <apex:param name="sortField" value="pricebookentry.name" assignTo="{!sortField}"/>
                    // </apex:commandLink>
                <apex:outputField value="{!product2id}"/>

//<apex:column >
            //  <apex:facet name="header">
            //        <apex:commandLink value="Technologies" action="{!toggleSort}" rerender="results,debug">
            //            <apex:param name="sortField" value="interested_technologies__c" assignTo="{!sortField}"/>
            //        </apex:commandLink>
            //    </apex:facet>
            //     <apex:outputField value="{!contact.Interested_Technologies__c}"/>
            // </apex:column>

</apex:pageBlockTable>

</td>
  </tr>
  </table>

<apex:pageBlock title="Debug - SOQL" id="debug">
      <apex:outputText value="{!debugSoql}" />           

</apex:form>

</apex:page>

I've had three exchanges with support and still no resolution, so I'm trying here.  I'm trying to construct a dynamic URL using field contents.  I either get an error such as "Found "Website__c"" or "Missing ")"" if I try other constructs.  

HYPERLINK("http://www.opensiteexplorer.org/comparisons?site=" &Website__c"&comparisons[0]="&competitor1__r.website__c"&comparisons[1]="&competitor2__r.website__c"&comparisons[2]="&competitor3__r.website__c"&comparisons[3]="&competitor4__r.Website__c" , "SEO Competitor Comparison")

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

thank you!

For a client.  I cannot find much detailed info on this subject. I understand that it's feasible, and I see people posting messages that suggest they're doing it, but most of the posts are from 2009 and there is virtually no presence in the app exchange, either.

We already use a variety of customer portal license types and I think I understand the costs involved in B2C authentication.

I've gone through the various workbooks and have the Warehouse demo working and understand some of the additional functionality I'd need to add.  At the moment, it seems like an intriguing project to build this out for a client, but the lack of resources is giving me second thoughts. I've also looked at integration with Volusion, but they've taken down their SF integration and I can't find much on this topic either.

Recommendations on products or directions for further research would be greatly appreciated, even if it's to say do a weekly CSV import from a dedicated ecommerce platfform.  I'm a believer in salesforce, integration, and analytics, so I'm trying to tie this all together, but I want to find the best solution for the client.

Client is unsophisticated and has been using a bad turn-key solution for years.  Product catalog is about 500 SKUs in ten families.  New site has been designed in Illustrator and handed off to us to make it all happen.

Thanks!

I want to publish a read-only table showing products and standard prices for display to Guests on a Force.com site, without authentication.  I'm spinning myself in circles trying to figure out whether i need to use a dummy class or which of the three objects, Product2, Pricebook2 or PricebookEntry that I should use to display standard prices in a read-only menu.  

After reviewing the read-only table, the user could choose to register / authenticate and to add Products (or PricebookEntries?) to a new or existing Opportunity, but it's important that users can view products and standard prices WITHOUT authentication, window-shopping as it were.

Does it matter which of the three objects (Pricebook2, Product2, PricebookEntry) is used to create the read-only table, taking into consideration that the next step for the user would be to login and therefore be shown any custom Pricebooks after log-in?  (Not sure that it matters, but adding it just in case).

Not asking for code, just to be pointed in the right direction.  (Code questions will come later this afternoon....)

I have tried for two full days to figure this out, now I'm asking for help.  Anyone feel like helping a total beginner?

We have a custom object, Person__c that allows unregistered visitors to submit basic business info about themselves and/or other people via a VisualForce page on a Force.com Site.  We need to send an email to each new entrant in the database, and to differentiate between Self-Submitted and Not-Self-Submitted.

I assume I need a trigger after insert, in order to ensure the submission was successful before sending out the email.  

Self-submitters will be waiting for a confirmation email, so emails need to be sent individually rather than batched.  Ultimately, non-self-submitted and  batch uploads could be handled by mass email but for now I think single email is probably what I need.  I thought I might use an if/else statement to differentiate between self and non-self submissions within the same trigger.

// Send single mail to each new Person who created their own new record
// as opposed to the record having been created by someone else
trigger NewPersonSelf on Person__c (after insert)
{for (Person__c p : Trigger.new) {

// I stupidly used the Name field to store Email
//check to see if the new Person__c record contains an Email
if
(p.Name != ' ' ) {
final String template();
//p.me__c is boolean for "self"
//if true then the person self-registered so
//use the NewPersonSelf template
if
(p.me__c = true) {'NewPersonSelfVF';
else {
'NewPersonNotSelfVF';
}
Messaging.SingleEmailMessage mail = new
Messaging.SingleEmailMessage();
}

mail.setTemplateID([select id from EmailTemplate where
Name = :template].id);
mail.setSaveAsActivity = (true) ;
mail.setTargetObjectId ;
mail.setWhatId ;
mail.setToAddresses = p.Name;
Messaging.sendEmail (new Messaging.SingleEmailMessage[] {mail});

}
}
}

and the test class, my first ever, which I include solely to demonstrate that I did make an effort and got to a whopping 30% coverage:

@isTest
private class NewPersonSelfTest {
static testMethod void testNewPersonSelf() {
Person__c testPerson = new Person__c();
{
testPerson.Name = 'name@some.com';
}
insert testPerson;

Messaging.Singleemailmessage testEmail;
List<Messaging.Sendemailresult> testEmailResults;
test.startTest();

test.stopTest();
}
}

Why do I need to SELECT "id" in this example?  I am just learning, so please forgive me if this is a dumb question, but the test runs okay without it, and it seems wasteful to call it and not use it.  I'm not completely clear on the trigger (?) " IN :xxxxx " yet.  Does that method/function/subroutine/class/whatever require id to be SELECTed, or is id SELECTed here because the line of code could be used in more complex test scenarios but isn't really necessary for this simple test?

[SELECT id, unit_price__c FROM Line_Item__c WHERE id IN :lineItems];
System.assert(lineItems[0].unit_price__c == 10); // unchanged

Is this more efficient?   {SELECT unit_price__c FROM Line_Item__c WHERE id IN :lineItems}; 

Thank you for your help,

Michael

I want to be able to store and access multiple values for the same Custom Field, for example, Competitors as a field on Accounts.  I'm running out of tabs, so don't want to create a new custom object just for this.

Currently I have created multiple fields, Competitor 1, Competitor 2, Competitor 3, etc...

Is there a better way to do this? Could/should all the competitor values be stored in the same field, and parsed when called?  (Not that I would know how to do that, but if pointed in the right direction I'll figure it out.)

Thank you,

Michael

I have a client with 2000 contacts who will likely never exceed 15k contacts.  There is minimal e-commerce planned for their (relatively new) site.

I'm a self-taught button-click-admin/beginning force.com developer with little experience outside of salesforce and force.com, but tons of marketing experience (including some experience with Eloqua, which would be ridiculous overkill for this small business).  Nothing he has planned is too complex from a marketing technology perspective and I can do all of it from within Salesforce.

His question is whether we should continue down the path of building out his marketing database and infrastructrure within Salesforce, or if he should be looking into alternatives and separating the decision from CRM.  I feel like the mechanic whose only tool is a hammer; not competent to comment on the broader question.

My thoughts pro-Salesforce are:

1. We're already using SF and can just keep going without having to spend time evaluting, setting-up and learning other sofrware.
  2. I work very cheap as he's an old friend. Labor for someone else to setup and support  another platform may be more expensive.
  3. SF continues to grow into the role of cloud-based OS for business, IMHO.  Go with the flow.
  4. My experience has been that it is not hard to extend SF functionality and that most times what I expect to have to try to write code to perform already exists in declarative form.
  5. He could and should probably add Preferred Support since he has only three seats and the monthly cost would be equal to about two hours of my time.  They could then handle most of what I spend time "admin-ing" and i could focus on engineering rather than data uploads.

Cons

1. He already complains about the cost of three Group Edition seats, though he's willing to upgrade if I recommend it.
  2. He's concerned about putting too many eggs in the SF basket and being somehow locked-in and captive to their pricing.

I'm not concerned about making money on his business, I want to make sure I give him good advice.  Since I don't have experience with any oher solutions (other than Eloqua, Forttran, WordPress and Joomla) I would love to receive thoughts I can pass on to him on whether this merits further investigation or if we're wise to stick with SF to house his marketing database, at least for the next couple years.

Thanks for any and all responses and Happy Holidays to all.

In the following code, Site is linked to it's detail and the detail also appears in a pop-up balloon on mouse hover. This is behavior inherent to the standard controller.

How do I get the same actions on Placement?  I've tried everything I can find short of writing actionSupport which seems like it should not be necessary. 

Thanks

standardController="Placement__c" recordsetVar="products">
   <apex:stylesheet value="{!URLFOR($Resource.Styles, 'grayedout.css')}"/>
      <apex:dataTable cellPadding="4" border="1" value="{!products}" var="pitem" rowClasses="odd,even">
          <apex:column headerValue="Site">
            <apex:outputField value="{!pitem.Site__c}">
            </apex:outputField>
         <apex:column headerValue="Placement Name">
            <apex:outputField value="{!pitem.Name}">
            </apex:outputField>

I've dowloaded the zipped css files from my Static Resources file, but they download with no file type association. I have changed the file type to zip after download and unzipped them but the styles page is gibberish.  What am I doing wrong?

I've tried Workbench, and at least two other methods to upload 324 rows of about 8 columns to sf.  There is a problem with the Excel date format which I cannot find a way to fix. I've been working on this for over ten hours, please, please, someone help me!  This is a primary feature for us and i have to figure this out.

I read about switching the Excel date format to ISO, but ISO no longer seems to be an option in Excel 2010.

I started installing Excel connector, but at this point I'm pretty sure I have to fix the data format in the csv file rather than spend even more time trying to install and learn yet another system.  But if people have experienced my date format issue and Excel Connector will fix it then i'll do it.  I just need some direction as I'm spinning my wheels now.

Thanks

I posted a similar question on the VisualForce board a few weeks ago without response, so I'm trying here.

I'm building a database on database.com that I want anyone to have Create and Read access to without registration, and Update and Delete with registration and apporopiate account ownership.  I've spent the last three months teaching myself APEX and VF, so when the database.com guys say, "The best part is, you can use anything you want to build the front end!", I want to use APEX and VF!

It's like when someone is "let go" from their job and says , "No you don't have to let me, I wasn't trying to go anyway.".

Can I use VF and APEX to build a database.com front end?  If not, would it be more efficient to learn more PHP rather than starting yet another language from scratch?  Is there a language that people feel strongly is vastly superior to PHP for database driven development and apps, perhaps including mobile somewhere down the road?

How does the Force.com IDE fit into this picture?

Thank you in advance.

I am rebuilding my  custom objects on database.com to make them public. I have to use database.com for licenses reasons, as we expect to have many thousand light users. I would like to use VF as the front-end since I already have some idea of how to work with it. I also have a Force.com Site, Is it possible to use VF via Sites and point to the database.com objects? Is there an easier way to do this?

I am only trying to build out the functionality with a serviceable UI. We will bring in Pros to polish once everything works.

Would learning how to use the Force.com IDE be valuable for this question, or should I just use HTML and PHP?  Any other suggestions or directions?   And no, I don't know Ruby or PHP or any other tools very well yet. so I'm starting with an open mind.

Thank you for any suggestions.

error message goes on, "An account owner must be associated with a role to enable portal users or transfer portal users to his or her account."

I'm lost. I'm trying to setup website authenticated user access to a force.com site.  I am the only Enterprise user, all other users are guests or website authenticated.  I assume that I am the account owner, but I can't find the field that I need to change to make this work. I know someone will probably need more info than this to help, but don't know what else to provide. 

Please ask away!

thank you

For a client.  I cannot find much detailed info on this subject. I understand that it's feasible, and I see people posting messages that suggest they're doing it, but most of the posts are from 2009 and there is virtually no presence in the app exchange, either.

We already use a variety of customer portal license types and I think I understand the costs involved in B2C authentication.

I've gone through the various workbooks and have the Warehouse demo working and understand some of the additional functionality I'd need to add.  At the moment, it seems like an intriguing project to build this out for a client, but the lack of resources is giving me second thoughts. I've also looked at integration with Volusion, but they've taken down their SF integration and I can't find much on this topic either.

Recommendations on products or directions for further research would be greatly appreciated, even if it's to say do a weekly CSV import from a dedicated ecommerce platfform.  I'm a believer in salesforce, integration, and analytics, so I'm trying to tie this all together, but I want to find the best solution for the client.

Client is unsophisticated and has been using a bad turn-key solution for years.  Product catalog is about 500 SKUs in ten families.  New site has been designed in Illustrator and handed off to us to make it all happen.

Thanks!

error message goes on, "An account owner must be associated with a role to enable portal users or transfer portal users to his or her account."

I'm lost. I'm trying to setup website authenticated user access to a force.com site.  I am the only Enterprise user, all other users are guests or website authenticated.  I assume that I am the account owner, but I can't find the field that I need to change to make this work. I know someone will probably need more info than this to help, but don't know what else to provide. 

Please ask away!

thank you

We have built a working prototype for our marketing integration platform on force.com and it's currently running as a partner portal (clients are using partner portal seats for access.) If you're really interested, you can see a YouTube video of the platform at http://bit.ly/16aCdnb, but it's not necessary to watch the video to understand our questions.

It's time for us to make the move towards figuring out how best to build out our franken-app into a real commercial application, but we have SO MANY questions about how to proceed. We are completely bootstrapped, and are not looking to take on money or investors at this point. We have paying clients and are profitable. We have over 25 years of very relevant marketing experience, and have been running ad agencies for most of that time, so we're very familiar with the agency model and it's associated markups, so we're trying to avoid just handing the entire thing over to a dev shop until we are at least better informed about how to make that decision. For background, I've been a Salesforce admin since 2007, and have been teaching myself APEX, Java, javascript and Visualforce in order to build out the platform over the past three years, so I've done my homework, but now need expert advice. And this is all above board, no scamming or screen-scraping so if we're doing something wrong I want to know. We would prefer to work with the discussion forum to get some general direction, including how to select the right CTO (and whether that's even who we need).

So to just get this started, here are some of our questions:

1. We need to access data from a wide variety of other platforms, via licensed or free APIs. When allowed, do we want to copy that data off to our own servers so that we don't have to call for it each time, or do we avoid the expense and hassle of copying it and rely instead real-time API calls? Sounds basic, but i haven't been able to find an answer I'm comfortable with yet.

2. I assume the data that we do house should be on an external server, like S3, rather than salesforce, but need to understand the implications of integrating yet another system.

3. We currently import most client data via .csv exports from the source and then manually upload to our platform. This has allowed us to test and improve our data model and our workflows. I've been trying for a year to teach myself how to do all the coding necessary to use APIs but it's not happening yet. There are a couple APIs, such as Google Analytics, that would be great to have NOW, but I dont' want to waste money paying to have them built for the prototype if that's unwise. How do I estimate how much it should cost to build out a straightforward API such as GA with limited fields? Can we use the cookbook or app exchange API code for things like GA and Facebook as starting points and save time and money on development, or should we expect developers to want to write their own code from scratch even if there are examples already published?

4. HOW can we get anyone at Salesforce to care??? Partner team and ISV couldn't care less about responding to us. We have a million more, but this is enough to give an idea of what we need and for people to weigh in with suggestions.

Thanks in advance for your support!

Michael

A custom object, Data with three custom fields, Baseline, Change, and Proj

I'm trying to write:   If (change = blank, proj = baseline , else proj  = baseline + (baseline * change)

Here's my code but it's not working and I could use some help correcting it:

public class ROI_Calc{
    public static Integer calculateROI (data__c.lifetime_orders_projected__c v) {
        if (lifetime_order_value_change_proj__c == '') {
            v = lifetime_order_value_baseline__c; }
           {v = lifetime_order_value_baseline__c * lifetime_order_value_change_proj__c + lifetime_order_value_baseline__c;
           } 
    }
}

I'm trying to adapt some code from Jeff Douglass that I know works, but my changes break it.  For starters, I get the error "Unknown Constructor 'PricebookEntry.PricebookEntry()'" and I can't even find where this refers to.  Any help appreciated, thank you.

<apex:page controller="PricebookEntry" sidebar="false">

<apex:pageMessages id="errors" />

<apex:pageBlock title="Find A Product" mode="edit">

<table width="100%" border="0">
  <tr>  
    <td width="200" valign="top">

<apex:pageBlock title="Parameters" mode="edit" id="criteria">

<script type="text/javascript">
      function doSearch() {
        searchServer(
          document.getElementById("product2ID").value,
          document.getElementById("Name").value,
          document.getElementById("description").value,
          document.getElementById("unitprice").value
          );
      }
      </script> 

<apex:actionFunction name="searchServer" action="{!runSearch}" rerender="results,debug,errors">
          <apex:param name="Product2ID" value="" />
          <apex:param name="Name" value="" />
          <apex:param name="description" value="" />
          <apex:param name="unitprice" value="" />
      </apex:actionFunction>

<table cellpadding="2" cellspacing="2">
      <tr>
        <td style="font-weight:bold;">Name<br/>
        <input type="text" id="Name" onkeyup="doSearch();"/>
        </td>
      </tr>
      <tr>
        <td style="font-weight:bold;">Description<br/>
        <input type="text" id="description" onkeyup="doSearch();"/>
        </td>
      </tr>
          <tr>
          <td style="font-weight:bold;">product2ID<br/>
          <input type="text" id="Product2ID" onkeyup="doSearch();"/>
          </td>
          </tr>

</table>

</td>
    <td valign="top">

<apex:pageBlock mode="edit" id="results">

<apex:pageBlockTable value="{!name}" var="product">

<apex:commandLink value="Name" action="{!toggleSort}" rerender="results,debug">
                        <apex:param name="sortField" value="Name" assignTo="{!sortField}"/>
                <apex:outputField value="{!Name}"/>

<apex:commandLink value="Description" action="{!toggleSort}" rerender="results,debug">
                        <apex:param name="sortField" value="Description" assignTo="{!sortField}"/>
                <apex:outputField value="{!Description}"/>

<apex:commandLink value="Product2ID" action="{!toggleSort}" rerender="results,debug">
                    // <apex:param name="sortField" value="pricebookentry.name" assignTo="{!sortField}"/>
                    // </apex:commandLink>
                <apex:outputField value="{!product2id}"/>

//<apex:column >
            //  <apex:facet name="header">
            //        <apex:commandLink value="Technologies" action="{!toggleSort}" rerender="results,debug">
            //            <apex:param name="sortField" value="interested_technologies__c" assignTo="{!sortField}"/>
            //        </apex:commandLink>
            //    </apex:facet>
            //     <apex:outputField value="{!contact.Interested_Technologies__c}"/>
            // </apex:column>

</apex:pageBlockTable>

</td>
  </tr>
  </table>

<apex:pageBlock title="Debug - SOQL" id="debug">
      <apex:outputText value="{!debugSoql}" />           

</apex:form>

</apex:page>

I've had three exchanges with support and still no resolution, so I'm trying here.  I'm trying to construct a dynamic URL using field contents.  I either get an error such as "Found "Website__c"" or "Missing ")"" if I try other constructs.  

HYPERLINK("http://www.opensiteexplorer.org/comparisons?site=" &Website__c"&comparisons[0]="&competitor1__r.website__c"&comparisons[1]="&competitor2__r.website__c"&comparisons[2]="&competitor3__r.website__c"&comparisons[3]="&competitor4__r.Website__c" , "SEO Competitor Comparison")

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

thank you!

Thanks!

I have tried for two full days to figure this out, now I'm asking for help.  Anyone feel like helping a total beginner?

We have a custom object, Person__c that allows unregistered visitors to submit basic business info about themselves and/or other people via a VisualForce page on a Force.com Site.  We need to send an email to each new entrant in the database, and to differentiate between Self-Submitted and Not-Self-Submitted.

I assume I need a trigger after insert, in order to ensure the submission was successful before sending out the email.  

Self-submitters will be waiting for a confirmation email, so emails need to be sent individually rather than batched.  Ultimately, non-self-submitted and  batch uploads could be handled by mass email but for now I think single email is probably what I need.  I thought I might use an if/else statement to differentiate between self and non-self submissions within the same trigger.

// Send single mail to each new Person who created their own new record
// as opposed to the record having been created by someone else
trigger NewPersonSelf on Person__c (after insert)
{for (Person__c p : Trigger.new) {

// I stupidly used the Name field to store Email
//check to see if the new Person__c record contains an Email
if
(p.Name != ' ' ) {
final String template();
//p.me__c is boolean for "self"
//if true then the person self-registered so
//use the NewPersonSelf template
if
(p.me__c = true) {'NewPersonSelfVF';
else {
'NewPersonNotSelfVF';
}
Messaging.SingleEmailMessage mail = new
Messaging.SingleEmailMessage();
}

mail.setTemplateID([select id from EmailTemplate where
Name = :template].id);
mail.setSaveAsActivity = (true) ;
mail.setTargetObjectId ;
mail.setWhatId ;
mail.setToAddresses = p.Name;
Messaging.sendEmail (new Messaging.SingleEmailMessage[] {mail});

}
}
}

and the test class, my first ever, which I include solely to demonstrate that I did make an effort and got to a whopping 30% coverage:

@isTest
private class NewPersonSelfTest {
static testMethod void testNewPersonSelf() {
Person__c testPerson = new Person__c();
{
testPerson.Name = 'name@some.com';
}
insert testPerson;

Messaging.Singleemailmessage testEmail;
List<Messaging.Sendemailresult> testEmailResults;
test.startTest();

test.stopTest();
}
}

When i am trying to access a test page i have created using this url

c.na9.visual.force.pages.com/apex/test

I am getting an error.

So i go to Develop --> Pages --> Test

But here after making the changes to this page how to test/execute this to see if the changes r good or not as we r not able to access it using the above mentioned url is there any way we can access this page.

Please help.

Thanks

Sai

Hi

we are running a site and have created some cart functionality, a 'public guest user' can add items to their cart, creates a custom object and updates the number of items in the cart.  this all works fine in our sandbox but once in production we are experienceing problems with response times when, having created a new cart item,  we query how many items are in the cart - it can be in minutes.  There are no issues with permissions, shares etc.  if you log in as a High Vol Cust Portal User the problem goes away.  I'm looking for some advice / tools to be able to monitor how well this performs & to identify what is wrong with the code - having had a look at pother posts i'm sure it may have something to do with referencing static resources ??

thanks in advance

les

Hi,

My organization uses the Salesforce bucket model.

I want to be able to display a list of our Contacts of a specific Record Type using Force.com Sites. The list should be publicly viewable, and I should be able to embed it in an iframe.

I have a question about the Force.com Sites product: I would like end users visiting the page to be able to filter those Contacts displayed based on some search criteria (filter on data contained in Contact Custom Fields). End users should also be able to enter a freeform search to see what resulting Contacts display.

Is it possible to do the above using visualforce / Force.com Sites ?

Thanks

i was hoping to use a hierarchical custom settings object to store user preferences for an app. This would require the user to create and edit their custom setting record.

From what i have read this would require every user to have the "Customize Application" permission to create and edit their own custom setting record. Obviously we cannot do that.

Is there some way to get around this with a vfpage & apex? So the user can goto a vfpage and create/edit the custom settings object record so they can manage their preferences?